3.08.2009

# Cooking # Cuisine

Barefoot in Paris


One thing I have yet to discuss on this blog is cooking. This topic has been a strange omission on my part as it is such a huge part of my life. I love to cook. Starters, main courses, desserts... I love it all! I am not a cook of the freestyle variety however, and always heavily rely on cookbooks to create my delights. Today, my parents were coming over for lunch and as I have had a recent yearning for French food I got out my trusty cookbook Barefoot in Paris by Ina Garten- otherwise known as the Barefoot Contessa.

I'm a huge fan of the Barefoot Contessa's show and cookbooks- Ina has such a great way of creating delicious recipes that tend to look intimidating on the plate but aren't at all intimidating to make.

So for today's lunch? It was eggplant gratin with a simple salad. I love serving gratins as you can make them the night before and simply pop them into the oven about a half an hour before your guests want to eat. This gratin, which I had never made before, came out great and got rave reviews. But the piece de resistance? My dessert, a Coeur a la Creme. This delicious dish is similar to a panna cotta but done Parisian-style in a heart shaped mold and served with a dash of framboise sauce and some fresh raspberries. It is the easiest dessert in the world to make (another one that you prepare the evening before) and is a real show stopper for your guests.

There is nothing quite like an afternoon spent eating lovely food with the people you love...

I would love to know what you enjoy cooking...

Bon Apetite!

Barefoot in Paris can be purchased at: www.amazon.com

6 comments:

vicki archer said...

That desert looks so beautiful and utterly delicious. I don't know that cookbook and am off to Amazon - I love recipes that are easy and doable in the normal space of time. Thank you for the tip, xv.

Unknown said...

So pretty and what lucky parents to have a daughter to make a meal for them.

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Thank you Vicki... I love recipes that you can make the night before as it leaves room for error- I can't tell you how many times I have 'messed up' a recipe at the last minute and wished I'd had a plan B!

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Thanks Jena- as a fellow gourmand I know you appreciate a good dessert! xo

Josephine Tale Peddler said...

Thanks for the recipe. I love cooking comfort food the best. Apple crumble, chocolate self-saucing pudding, dumplings, all the old fashioned puddings of my childhood. Plus, I love baking with my daughter. There are so many beautiful cooking books out there - it is quite an industry. I love the way they combine travel, memoir and cooking in the same book now.

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Primrose- Yum... I love old-fashioned or traditional puddings... and yours sound delectable!

It sounds like your daughter will grow up to be quite an accomplished cook too :)