11.27.2009

# Movies # Reviews

My Top Ten Films of the Decade- #5 Y Tu Mamá También


My fifth favorite movie of the decade is 2001's Y Tu Mamá También (And Your Mother Too) directed by Alfonso Cuarón. It takes place in Mexico in the year 1999 and explores the coming of age of two teenage boys: Julio (Gael García Bernal) and Tenoch (Diego Luna).

The boys find themselves bored one summer after their girlfriends leave for an Italian vacation and decide to go on a road trip with Luisa (Maribel Verdú), a mysterious older woman that they meet at a wedding. The three go in search of a secluded beach called la boca del cielo (heaven’s mouth). Class issues, sexuality, mortality and loyalty are the themes explored in this explosive (and I'm talking explosive), seductive tale that ultimately is a celebration of life and all of the passion that goes along with it.

This film will have you measuring your mortality and sizing up the amount of passion in your life... two things that are probably good to do every now and then don't you think?

I hope you'll stay tuned for my #4 pick...

7 comments:

Kristi said...

Love this movie, as well. It was bittersweet. At the end, will you please list your top 10 in one post for us? K

Stephanie said...

I haven't seen this one yet. I'll have to put it on my list.

Anonymous said...

Gael Garcia Bernal would have to be up for best actor of the decade. This plus amores perros, the king, mammoth.... and so on

My site is doing a piece on the 100 greatest films of the decade. One contributors list is up and the others should follow soon.

But we need more views from other folks, there's a poll, and it would be greaqt if some off you could vote or perhaps just leave a comment to have your say

www.lastsiteontheleft.blogspot.com

also would be good to swap links if your interested

Bonnie said...

I will definitely add this to my list of movies to see! I didn't know you lived in Santa Monica! My brother and his girlfriend live there too and I live in the Hollywood Hills. We are practically neighbors in real life especially considering the vast world of blog land! I hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving and are having a nice weekend!
Bonnie at Love Your Place :)

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Hi Kristi- I will put all of my top 10 in one list- probably when I reveal #1... great suggestion...

Bonjour Madame- it's a great movie- just don't watch it with children :)

Thanks Anon- I will check out your blog!

Bonnie- that's amazing that we live so close! I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving...

tishjett@yahoo.com said...

Yes, indeed I think these are two "conditions" to size up in our lives on a regular basis, but can it be done without speaking Spanish?

Bon weekend,
TishX

Lisa D. said...

yet another one i haven't seen. and to think my original major in college was film. i need to get it together! :) another one added to the queue...