11.07.2009

# Movies # Reviews

My Top Ten Films of the Decade- #8 La Vie en Rose


Marion Cotillard won the Oscar for best actress for her portrayal of French chanteuse, Edith Piaf in the 2007 film, and my number 8 pick, La Vie en Rose, directed by Olivier Dahan.

Edith Piaf’s life was painful- it was a life lived in extremes- from the utter poverty and desolation of her youth to her later life basking in the luxury of fame. Along the way she suffered tragedies, love affairs, drug addictions and still, through this all, she had ‘no regrets’.

Piaf’s life was so dramatic it was only natural that it would make a good film subject. And while the film itself is good standalone biopic- Marion Cotillard’s brilliant performance as Piaf is what transcends this film and brings it over the edge.

Stephen Holden of The New York Times wrote that Cotillard’s performance as Piaf was “the most astonishing immersion of one performer into the body and soul of another I’ve ever encountered in a film”… and honestly, I couldn’t agree more.

To this day, Cotillard's performance is the most powerful and heart-wrenching I have ever seen…

Won’t you stay tuned for my number 7 pick?


Marion Cotillard is pictured above in a scene from La Vie en Rose

13 comments:

BigLittleWolf said...

I can't wait to see this film, and fact is - I bought the DVD last year and tucked it away somewhere for a special occasion - and now I can't find it! (Il faut rire.)

I guess that means it's time to do more than contemplating contemplating cleaning my house. Where's a French maid when you need one? (Oh, that's moi. I forgot.)

Love this series! (And email me pics of your shabooties, s'il te plait.)

~Tessa~Scoffs said...

I loved that movie. I knew as soon as I saw it that Ms. Cotillard would win Best Actress!

Stephanie said...

I watched this movie this morning. It is so good and Marion gives a performance like no other.

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

Oh good! I have wanted to see this. Another one for my netflix list. Merci beaucoup!

BonjourRomance said...

Bonjour! I have yet to see this movie, I need to remedy that right away. Looking forward to #7!

gh said...

Ahh, you have me inspired to go and see this film now. I am jotting down the title and intend to watch it this week.
Looking forward to your next picks.

Unknown said...

Love this movie and also thought Marion was played the part to perfection.

Alan Burnett said...

Thanks for reminding me that I haven't seen this film yet, I made a mental note at the time to see it ... and now I must act upon my resolution.

Rose said...

Edith Piaf had such an incredible life- but the wonder is they ever found someone to play her let alone someone so perfect. I was amazed when I saw Marion Cotillard not as Edith- what a transformation

tishjett@yahoo.com said...

It's on French TV right this very second (!!!!!)

How bizarre. And, yes it's one of my all time favorite films and she is one of my all time favorite actresses.

Sometimes I put the real Piaf on the stereo and turn it up until the house shakes and the dogs run for cover.

She still makes me cry after all these years.

The Daily Connoisseur said...

For those of you that have seen it- I'm so glad I'm not alone in my highly esteemed opinion of this film! Thank you for your comments and input!

For those of you that have not seen it yet... brace yourselves :) And as always, I would love to know what you think...

xo

Josephine Tale Peddler said...

This is one of those films that I longed to see at the cinema and missed. I can't wait to finally getting around to viewing it. xx

Chris said...

I saw this when it first came out, and loved it. It really is a wonderful film.

I need to get the DVD so I can watch it again.