2.23.2014

Remove Your Inner Thorn Untethered Soul Book Club Pt. 3



Our Untethered Soul book club continues with part 3: Remove Your Inner Thorn.

Those of you who follow me on twitter and facebook know I'm going through book edits and a kitchen renovation and it is for this reason that this blog post will be lighter than the last two. So this week on the blog I am sharing my favorite quotes from this section.

Please watch this week's video (which discusses this all in depth) for the full discussion. Thank you for all of your comments and insight. I know this topic isn't what we typically discuss here on the Daily Connoisseur but as connoisseurs of life we must commit ourselves to being beautiful from the inside out :)

If you are unable to see the video above, click here, look in the sidebar of this blog, or check out my channel: www.youtube.com/TheDailyConnoisseur

Favorite quotes on removing your inner thorn:

Location 1271 “You are either trying to stop suffering, controlling your environment to avoid suffering, or worrying about suffering in the future”.

Location 1288 “You don’t have to constantly be mulling over what you said or what this person thinks of you. What kind of life are you going to have if you worry about these things all the time? Inner sensitivity is a symptom of non- well-being. It’s the same as when the body sends pain or displays other symptoms when it’s not well. “

“Pain is not bad; it’s how the body talks to you. When you overeat, you get a stomachache. When you do something that puts too much stress on your arm, it starts to hurt. The body is communicating through its universal language: pain. Your psyche is communicating through its universal language: fear. Self-consciousness, jealousy, insecurity, anxiety- they are all fear.”

Location 1722 “So there are two ways you can live: you can devote your life to staying in your comfort zone, or you can work on your freedom”. YES!! (that was my note when reading this quote).

Location 1341 “You can wake up in the morning, look forward to the day, and not worry about what will happen. Your daily life can be like a vacation. Work can be fun; family can be fun; you can just enjoy all of it. That does not mean you don’t do your best; you just have fun doing your best. Then, at night when you go to sleep, you let it all go.”

As always, I would love to know what you think about all of this. I try to respond to every comment, so please share your experience below!

The kitchen renovation is going well but all is very hectic. I will do a blog about it when it's finished.

Also book edits are going really well. Book 2 is going to be fabulous and I just know you're going to love it.

See you next week for the final installment of the Untethered Soul book club: The Problem of the Day.

xx

Visit my Author Website

Facebook facebook.com/JenniferLScottAuthor

Twitter @JL_Scott

Instagram @dailyconnoisseur

Sign up for my Seasonal Author Newsletter

15 comments:

juliagray19 said...

Hi, Thank you for choosing this book. The "burn and release" concept is extremely practical. Women in my family tend to carry a lot of emotional baggage. The burn and release concept is helpful to me because it is satisfying that I can acknowledge and validate being angry and then get it out of my system and move forward. There is a lot to be said for being detached from time to time. Living in the present moment felt like such a weight had been lifted from my shoulders.

Emma Knight Peel said...

Hi Jennifer! I'm so glad you chose this book because I never would have found it otherwise. It is definitely helping me, along with your videos discussing the topics, which refreshes my mind and helps make more sense of it all. I especially notice people around me protecting their thorns like crazy! And running to their therapist for an "emergency session" because someone touched their thorn! It's harder to see my own, but I know they're there and I'm trying to become more aware of them. It makes so much sense to deal with the pain and remove the thorn instead of protecting the stupid thing! :)

You don't sound crazy. Your videos are my Monday morning joy. :) Thanks for taking the time to do them.

Debbie said...

Hi Jennifer! Yes! I am truly enjoying this book club and it is helpful to me. I look forward to your videos on Monday morning too. It is fun when I catch myself being aware of the voice in my head and I continue to practice it. I am also excited when I acknowledge my inner thorn being touched. Yes! I know this is the only way to begin to stop if from hurting. Continued good luck with your second book! I look forward to reading it! Hang in there with the renovations, the floor is beautiful! Have a good week!

The Daily Connoisseur said...

JuliaGray- I hear you. I don't like to make generalizations but I do think women tend to hold on to emotional baggage. Perhaps because we are expected to do and be so much? It is OK to be angry and validate that and then deal with it.

Emma Knight Peel- (have I ever told you you have a fabulous name??) I'm glad I chose it too because a lot of people are telling me they would never have picked it up otherwise! Thank you for your comments.

Debbie- Thank you! So glad you are aware and practicing. Life starts to get really interesting once you practice on a regular basis. It's pretty awesome.

Emma Knight Peel said...

Haha. Thanks! It's my pseudonym from The Original Avengers with Dame Diana Rigg as Emma (Knight) Peel. Cool British show from the 60's. But. it seems like you already know that. :) My real name is Mary.

Dani said...

Hello Jennifer,

I really enjoy your blog, loved your book and am working through this book recommendation (and got one for my husband for Valentine's)!

In terms of 'burn and release', I seem to do well with the 'burning' part of the process but the follow-up 'release' proves challenging.

To those who have worked with it, do you narrate your feelings (this made me feel sad, left out etc....)? What do you do if the situation that hurt or bothered you comes into your mind again? I tried narrating, noting the physical sensation and then after about a minute, let it go. If it came up again, I told myself that I had already dealt with it and I wanted to be free.

It is DIFFICULT as my tendency is to dwell and re-live things over and over (even situations from a couple of years ago) but this is not the way to growth, freedom or happiness.

Any thoughts on releasing for good?

Thank you,

Danielle

Petite Chambre said...

sth for parisian chic lovers http://petitechambree.blogspot.com

Emma Knight Peel said...

Dani, I'm having trouble with issues coming up again, too. I think we just have to keep practicing feeling it and letting it go each time something comes up until it doesn't bother us anymore. Our thorns have been there for a long time, so it makes sense that it will take a while to work through the issues and really release them. I wish it would be easier with just one burn and release, but maybe it's more like layers that we need to peel away.

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Hi Danielle, Thanks for your comment! I will address this in the last video because a few people have asked about it. How to release the thing for good. Emma is on to it when she says that you have to practice it in order for it to get easier each time. But awareness of the thoughts are key. Don't judge yourself because you can't release it and try not to get frustrated because you can't release it. Just be aware that you are having trouble releasing it. This probably means that you need to examine the issue a little closer and find true root of where the hurt comes from.

Dani said...

Jennifer and Emma,

Thank you for your comments!

I will keep practicing the release part. It's encouraging to know it's hard for others too but will get easier. Looking forward to more ideas in the next video.

Danielle

Ann G. R. said...

Thanks, Jennifer, for bringing the topic of the thorn up for discussion. It's wonderful how once I've read the book, awareness shines the light on ALL the conversations (with myself and others) of the day.

It also helps with my parenting. I have a child with special needs/autism, and I find that his whole life I've been trying to protect him from every conceivable turmoil. I've lived day to day trying to prepare for every situation to prevent a sensory bombardment. I was spending so much energy trying to prevent something that may or may not happen. I realized I was doing that to myself, too. Instead of being in the moment and handling what comes, I was anticipating all the dangers ahead and protecting him AND myself from distress. I think it actually created more stress from trying to protect from any possible bumps to my thorn. I am NOT trying to say that my child is 'a thorn'. I'm trying to say that the painful/hurtful situation might be a thorn. I was spending more energy trying to shield from uncomfortable situations than approaching them head on. It's something for me to ponder.

By the way, have you ever read: The Dark Side of the Light Chasers by Debbie Ford? It has been awhile since I have, and her books that followed. She discusses the 'Shadow self' like the thorn. She describes it as when you get a strong reaction to something, it means you are hovering over a shadow that should be explored; as if a bruise (past injury). Interesting. But what she does is take you on visualization exercise to meet the shadow, acknowledge it, and let it go. I like how Michael Singer says we don't have to druge the hurts up one at a time, we can just let them all go at once.

Awareness is good! Thanks for leading the discussion.

Duchess Megan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emma Knight Peel said...

Wow, Ann! What a revelation! I'm not a parent, so I've never thought about how parents spend so much time protecting their children from potential dangers, especially when they have special needs. That must be exhausting. The other book you mentioned sounds good. I might read that one, too.

Vicki Zimmerman said...

Wonderful comments in the video and by everyone here and I can really relate to what Dani said. I've been doing zazen meditation for a number of years and noticing the breath, observing thoughts and experiencing body sensations are part of it.

Michael A. Singer's approach to take the seat of witness consciousness and notice the inner disturbance and then let it go is excellent. Still, some of these "disturbances" can occur from an outside force or a trigger comes so quickly, that it's difficult to do the relax and release, no matter how quickly we want to "let it go."

My question, and perhaps it comes in the final section, which I have yet to read, is that we can notice the noticing and not get involved in the psyche, but no matter what thorn has been hit, sometimes we must deal with these "thorns" or "relationships" or "life issues," because that's part of our life and some need attention in the form of outer communication, too. Of course, Singer's letting go technique is also essential so we can be free and centered in our consciousness.

I'm just hoping you'll explore some of these more difficult moments with practical ideas and approaches, too. Thanks. ^_^

snappyjaye said...

I just wanted to thank you for choosing this book! I only just found your blog a few days ago, so I've just started it, but am enthralled already. I really enjoyed watching your videos, and can't wait to read your next book!!

 
BLOG DESIGN © 2012 SMITTEN BLOG DESIGNS/ CONTENT © 2012 DAILY CONNOISSEUR