2.09.2014

The Voice In Your Head: Untethered Soul Book Club Pt. 1



Our Untethered Soul book club has finally arrived! So many of you have told me you're reading this book and it is already changing your life. I'm so happy we finally get to discuss it.

I read the Untethered Soul several months ago and right around the time I finished it, my dear friend, Matt, sent me a picture of my book in Grand Central Station, NYC. I was completely delighted to see Lessons from Madame Chic sitting right next to the Untethered Soul on the table.

There are so many topics to discuss in this book, we could talk about it all year. But what I plan to do with this book club is post four videos that discuss the four topics in the book that spoke to me the most.

I want this to be an interactive book club, so please write about your thoughts in the comment section of either the blog or YouTube channel, tweet me, facebook me, instagram me or shoot your own response video or blog. I would love to hear from you.

As I started to film this first video, I realized that this book is harder to talk about than I thought. The irony of it all was that the "voice in my head" was telling me I sound completely crazy talking about this stuff! But I have decided to put myself out there and speak about it because this has really helped me and I would be thrilled if it helped even only one person (although I have a feeling it will help a great deal more than one).

This week's video is on the voice in your head.

Here are some of my favorite quotes on the subject:

*Please note, I read this on my kindle, so I have location numbers in lieu of page numbers.

Location 229 True personal growth is about transcending the part of you that is not okay and needs protection.

Location 224 Reality is too real for most of us, so we temper it with the mind.

Location 184 Eventually you will see that the real cause of problems is not life itself. It’s the commotion the mind makes about life that really causes problems.

Location 257 You have to break the habit of thinking that the solution to your problems is to rearrange things outside. The only permanent solution to your problems is to go inside and let go of the part of you that seems to have so many problems with reality.

Location 294 You’ll be shocked by what you see. It just jumps from one subject to the next. The incessant chatter seems so neurotic that you won’t believe that it’s always been that way. But it is.

Location 881 You are living on a planet spinning around the middle of outer space, and you’re either worrying about your blemishes, the scratch on your new car, or the fact that you burped in public. It’s not healthy.

For my expanded thoughts on these quotes, check out this week's video. If you are unable to see the video above, click here, look in the sidebar of this blog, or visit my channel: www.youtube.com/TheDailyConnoisseur

If you feel intimidated by all of this, but you really do want to make a change in the way you think, I find that there is only one thing you need to do:

Acknowledge the voice in your head.

When you do this, you become aware of it. And awareness of the voice in the head is the first step toward awakening consciousness. Suddenly all of those unsettling of troublesome thoughts you have lose their power and over time will simply stop showing up.


I would love to know what you think about the voice in your head. Use the hashtag #dailyconnoisseur on your social media sites so we can all stay connected while discussing these life-changing topics, or simply leave me a comment below.

See you next week for one of my favorite concepts in the book: Burn & Release.

Visit my Author Website

Facebook facebook.com/JenniferLScottAuthor

Twitter @JL_Scott

Instagram @dailyconnoisseur

Sign up for my Seasonal Author Newsletter

13 comments:

Christine Coombs said...

Hi Jennifer,
I just want to say thank you for your blogs, videos and fantastic book. I have learned so much. I went to France a few years ago and like you it had a profound effect on me. When I got back to Australia I wanted to share what I had found out, but didn't . Good on you for doing it and doing it so well. Thank you also for your lovely energy and the book club. I read "The Untethered Soul" about a year ago and found it wonderful. Your book club has inspired me to read it again. Thanks again. Chris

Patricia said...

Thank you for all of your work on this topic. I have not read the book but am interested now in reading it. The question I have after seeing your video is how do you distinguish between the voice in your head and your gut instinct?
Also while watching your video, the voice in my head kept asking - what about the big problems - war, violence, earthquakes, illness. Not all of our problems are petty and what should be the response or reliance to the voice when these occur? Can't the voice serve as a sounding board so that we do not act impulsively?

Emma Knight Peel said...

Hi Jennifer,

The parts you mentioned also stood out to me. Once I was aware of that incessant voice in my head like a neurotic friend, I just wanted to tell it to shut up! :)

I highlighted Location 182, where it said, "you will someday come to see that there is no use for that incessant internal chatter, and there is no reason to constantly attempt to figure everything out." That was very freeing because I then realized that I do try to make sense of everything.

Also, Location 239, "The bottom line is, you'll never be free of problems until you are free from the part within that has so many problems."

I finally realized that I create most of my "problems" in my own head! So, the good news is that I also have the power to get rid of them!

Life-changing book. Thank you for recommending it and talking about it!

Trudi Pabst said...

Jennifer, thanks for doing this book. I'm having trouble with it, so I probably REALLY need it. My issue here is, how do you differentiate that voice in your head from your brain. The problem solving part, or the part that reminds you to call your brother, or the voice that also senses joy? Isn't it all the same voice?

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Christine- Thank you! And I encourage you to write about your experience in France. We can never have enough :)

Patricia- You know the difference between the voice in your head and gut instinct. Gut instinct is a feeling that takes over your whole body that speaks of truth. As for the problems that aren't petty... clearing the neurosis from our mind allows us to deal with those issues (if we do need to deal with them) from a place of clarity, rather than fear. That's my take on your questions. Wish we could also ask Michael Singer!

Emma- I love the quotes you listed. Those are some that I highlighted as well! I realized the same thing ... that my mind created most of the "problems" I was experiencing. Glad this is helpful!

Trudi- Here's my take: It's all the same voice. It's not that we need to ignore it, it's just that we need to be aware of it. We use the voice in our head to our best benefit and we do that by simply being aware of it. It doesn't mean we stop using our brain, it just means that our thoughts don't run our life. To use your example, let's say the voice in your head tells you you need to call your brother. That's fine. But if you forget and it reminds you again and then starts telling you he's going to be upset with you if you don't call and etc. (creates a drama) just notice that... Does that make sense?

Thanks for all of your comments!

Claire said...

I would be interested in hearing what questions or doubts your "inner voice" posed as you read the book. Were you just in total agreement with everything the author said, or did any objections arise?

Trudi Pabst said...

Thanks, Jennifer, that does help. As I continue to read the book, I also thought, I can't ignore everything, or I would no longer be an effective employee, wife, mother, etc. I will just ignore the insane musings or the drama.

Diana Burns said...

Hi Jennifer,

Enjoyed your book and am enjoying your blog! I saw this quote on Pinterest of all places. Here it is:

"I've got 99 problems and 86 of them are completely made up scenarios in my head that I'm stressed about for absolutely no logical reason."

I think that sums up that pesky voice in our heads!

Diana

lMdm said...

I love your hair and miss the time I had similar. What do you do to get them so vital, please :)

Elizabeth Lukes said...

I always listen to my inner voice, event when it gets critical, because in the end, I never take my own criticism seriously. I do agree with the concept that we do create our own conflicts uneccessarily though. The important thing is to observe those self-inflicted conflicts and temper them.

Maureen said...

This is one of my favorite chapters! There were many moments when I put down the book and laughed to myself, thinking: OMG he's right! And then I would laugh further at the voice in my head thinking about it! It's fascinating to notice the voice and also be aware that those thoughts are only a small part of how we experience the world. Amazing. :)

Great job presenting the information! I discussed this chapter with my husband, and he thought it sounded crazy. I, on the other hand, find it fascinating!

M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rayna St. Pierre said...

Hi Jennifer, this is a great book club. After listening in on all four parts, I finally downloaded The Untethered Soul to my Kindle. Generally, I shy away from New Age-type self-help books, but this book seems to transcend the genre. Not coincidentally, I chose to start reading it in the context of Lent, as I'm working on letting go of certain attachments (read: bad habits). "The voice in your head" chapters have really spoken to me, as I've begun to understand how certain fears - based in part on imaginary conversations and others' imaginary reactions, you know how that is! - have often motivated my actions in real life.
Lent is a penitential season, but I'm always hoping to come out of it kinder, gentler, just better all around. Surprisingly (to me, anyway) this book is a tool for doing just that! So thank you so much for the recommendation!

 
BLOG DESIGN © 2012 SMITTEN BLOG DESIGNS/ CONTENT © 2012 DAILY CONNOISSEUR