3.02.2014

The Problem of the Day Untethered Soul Book Club Pt 4



We arrive at the end of our Untethered Soul book club with the problem of the day, or problem du jour as I like to call it.

There is so much more I could have talked about with this book but it would go on all year. I chose to end with the problem du jour because I think it fits nicely with the other subjects we've been talking about.

Michael Singer writes:

Location 1309 “Each person has what we’ll call the ‘problem of the day’. This is the thing that is bothering them the most at any given moment. When the current problem isn’t bothering them, then the next one pops up, and when that one isn’t bothering them, the next one pops up.”

Can you relate to this? I certainly can (as you'll see in the video)...

Location 1312 “Your thoughts tend to focus on what is bothering you today. Your thoughts are about the problem, why it is bothering you, and what you can do about it. If you don’t do something about this, it will go on for the rest of your life.”

Yikes!

Location 1340 “You are capable of ceasing the absurdity of listening to the perpetual problems of your psyche.”

Location 1349 “You just stop telling your mind that its job is to fix your personal problems”

Location 1359 “The Truth is, everything will be okay as soon as you are okay with everything.”

This is big.

Location 1364 “By watching your mind, you will notice that it is engaged in the process of trying to make everything okay. Consciously remember that this is not what you want to do and then gently disengage. Do not fight it.”

Location 1366 “Instead of fighting the mind, just don’t participate in it.”

Location 1368 “The key is to be quiet. It’s not that your mind has to be quiet. You be quiet. You, the one inside watching the neurotic mind, just relax. You will then naturally fall behind the mind because you have always been there. You are not the thinking mind; you are aware of the thinking mind. You are the consciousness that is behind the mind and is aware of the thoughts.

Location 1404 “Now what used to hold you down becomes what wakes you up” <-----!!! This is my favorite quote from the book! :)

Location 1541 “When you are comfortable with pain passing through you, you will be free.”

Location 1992 “The purpose of your life is to enjoy and learn from your experiences. You were not put on Earth to suffer. You’re not helping anybody by being miserable”.

To hear my expanded thoughts on this subject, check out this week's video. If you are unable to see the video above, click here, look in the sidebar of this blog, or check out my channel: www.youtube.com/TheDailyConnoisseur


This week I would love to know what your thoughts are on the problem of the day...

The 90-Day Screenplay
Attention screenwriters: My writing mentor, Al Watt of the LA Writers' Lab, has published his most recent book, The 90-Day Screenplay. I highly recommend his work to anyone interested in completing a writing project. His classes were invaluable in giving me the tools, motivation and discipline I needed to write my own books. Al is also the author of The 90-Day Novel and The 90-Day Rewrite.

Thank you to all of you for participating in this book club. I have enjoyed your comments and insights immensely.

See you next week! xx

Visit my Author Website

Facebook facebook.com/JenniferLScottAuthor

Twitter @JL_Scott

Instagram @dailyconnoisseur

Sign up for my Seasonal Author Newsletter

7 comments:

The McMeekins said...

My new daily mantra:
"You’re not helping anybody by being miserable."

Thank you for sharing this book and your insights.



Emma Knight Peel said...

Hi Jennifer! I love hearing your insights and personal examples. I've learned so much from this book! I realize that I carry with me several "Problemes du Jour" that I spend so much time day after day trying to solve and making new action plans. Being aware of this will help me to take action to end the problems, and to stop obsessing about things that are out of my control and be free of them.

Living life with a free soul is the only way to live... :)

Debbie said...

Hi Jennifer!

Yes! There is so much great material in the book with so little time to cover it. I have lots of pages marked for when I feel I need to revisit this wisdom in the future!

Wow, do I ever create 'problems of the day'. It is so refreshing to identify and even better to know what to do about it.

Thanks again for this incredibly valuable book club!

Happy Spring!
Debbie

Greenjane72 said...

Ha!! Problem of the day barely covers it in my head. I have several daily problems, a couple of weekly problems and also a collection of problems of the month, year and even decade!!! I clearly have a lot of work to do & I think this book has been incredibly helpful for me. Thanks again for introducing me to it. Keep it up! Xx

Ann G. R. said...

For work problems and sibling issues, I have an easier time letting this go because I can give it some space. I have the greatest struggle with husband/wife issues because we are in such close proximity. We each have memories of little hurts that have accumulated over the years which I know are unresolved. It's tough to 'let it go' when a word or expression reopens the old wounds.

As I was falling asleep after such a 'problem' last night. I thought to myself, "I have issues to resolve, but I don't have to hold onto the hurt, holding onto to it only hurts ME". When someone is UNKIND to ME, I have to me kind to ME first, and let it go, then let the healing energy refresh the situation." That seemed to help. I got some sleep.

I just remind myself that I am taking baby steps….each day. More practice! Thanks, Jennifer, for having the discussion.

The Daily Connoisseur said...

The McMeekins- Isn't that wonderful! I tell myself that a lot :) Thank you!

Emma KP- Yes exactly! Being aware helps you to end the pattern. Thank you for contributing to the book club!

Debbie- Thank you!

Greenjane- Thank you very much!

Ann- excellent observations. I love that. Thank you for your contributions!

Jomara Carvalho Ribeiro said...

It was great to watch the videos for this book club! I really appreciate your comments and insight. Thank you!
I am actually re-reading the book and slowly getting to incorporate in my mind and dayly living this new approach to life as whole.
I love the sentence: "Everything will be okay as soon as you are ok with everything". Very tough, though.

 
BLOG DESIGN © 2012 SMITTEN BLOG DESIGNS/ CONTENT © 2012 DAILY CONNOISSEUR