8.03.2014

# beauty # beauty blender

Beautyblender Review + My Napa Valley Trip



In last week's video, A Midsummer Night's Makeup Tutorial, you saw me use a new way to apply foundation, with the Beautyblender. I've seen many YouTubers use the beauty blender and rave about it so I decided to try it myself and give you my thoughts. The Beautyblender sells for just under $20 and can be found at Sephora, Amazon, and many other beauty stores.

The beauty blender is a revolutionary makeup sponge applicator that has no sharp edges (like a traditional triangle sponge). When used properly, I find it blends your foundation flawlessly and seamlessly into your skin, so much better than a foundation brush or your fingers can. I've had my makeup airbrushed by makeup artists in the past for various events and the beauty blender is the closest thing to achieving that same professional finish. So, as you can tell, I love it!


How to apply

It's very important that you use the proper application when using the Beautyblender. Many people don't know this but the beauty blender should be damp before you apply your makeup. This allows the product to sit on the edge of the blender and not get soaked (and subsequently wasted) by being absorbed into the sponge.

Place the foundation or bb cream on the back of your hand and dab the damp Beautyblender in the product. Then bounce the product lightly on your skin and you'll be amazed at how it blends in.

You can clean your Beautyblender with soap and water (no need to buy the formal cleanser unless you want to) after every application or at the minimum, once a week.

There are many Beautyblender-esque products on the market and I have heard mixed reviews on them. I can fully recommend the original. (And P.S. I have no affiliation with Beautyblender... just sharing my honest opinion).

For a full review and to see the application process, check out this week's video. If you are unable to see the video above, click here, look in the sidebar of this blog, or visit my channel: www.youtube.com/TheDailyConnoisseur

If you've tried the Beautyblender or a similar products let us know your feedback in the comment section below.


For more on the Beautyblender, check out the informative page on their website here.

Napa Valley Trip
This weekend my sister and I hopped on a plane to northern California to visit our Aunts, Uncles and cousins who live up there. We spent two days with them and on Saturday had a lovely afternoon in Napa Valley. It was my first time ever away from my girls so two days, though short, was perfect because I already missed them after the first hour away!

Here I am at the airport. I was channeling the mysterious traveling woman I wrote about in Lessons from Madame Chic. Can you tell?



Saturday's trip to Napa Valley was so much fun. We sought out the arts by visiting the Hess Winery's fine art gallery. Here I am standing in front of a larger than life piece by artist Frank Stella called Silverstone II...



Here were two other pieces from the fine art collection. The untitled piece on the left is by Danish artist Per Kirkeby, and the upside down portrait on the right is by Georg Baselitz aptly titled, Self Portrait Disaster.


After our art gallery experience we visited the charming, old-fashioned grocery store Oakville Grocery Co., where we bought some artisan treats and ended the afternoon with a picnic at the Rutherford Hill winery in Napa. What an adventure! It was great catching up with family again, but now, of course, I'm very happy to be back with my own.

Here's a picture of the stocked shelves at the Oakville Grocery Co.


News
Simon & Schuster editorial assistant, Kaitlin Olson, has written a very touching piece on Madame Chic books 1 and 2 on her blog, Adventures in Crazytown.

At Home With Madame Chic is coming out one month early! The new publication date is October 7, 2014. Not long to wait now...

Madame Chic Inspiring Thought
Take advantage of these last days of summer by enjoying a picnic in a beautiful spot. Block out a few hours, put the cell phones away and languish outside with some delicious food. Purchase everything at a nice deli or grocery store if you don't feel like preparing food in your hot kitchen. Sometimes all you need is a baguette, a high-quality cheese, olives, meats and a nice refreshing lemonade or a glass of wine. As my aunt Deb says, "Everything tastes better outside." I couldn't agree more!

This week I would love to know... what are your thoughts on the Beautyblender?

Have you ever visited Napa Valley? What did you do while there? What were your favorite wineries?

See you next time!


Visit my Author Website

Facebook facebook.com/JenniferLScottAuthor

Twitter @JL_Scott

Instagram @dailyconnoisseur

Sign up for my Seasonal Author Newsletter

14 comments:

Vicki Zimmerman said...

This weeks video is wonderful and I'm on my way to Sephora at SCP in an hour to buy a Beautyblender and I can't wait to try it.

Then, there's your quick family trip to Napa and I loved your links, which make me want to plan a similar getaway. In the meantime, we're meeting friends for an early evening picnic along the coast in Laguna Beach, next weekend, and we'll be bringing some of the delicious foods you mentioned.

So nice you saw your family and are refreshed and back with your wonderful family. ^_^

P. S. Your skin and makeup look beautiful in the video and I love your A.P.C. steel grey-blue linen dress you're wearing.

Sandra Sallin said...

Love the beauty blender. As you say it's much better than brushes or fingers.

Napa, love it all. Views, food, wine. Perfecion.

Unknown said...

I've never been to Napa Valley but it's on my bucket list! :). You look great in the pictures. I was wondering did they make you take your sandals off though for the security check on the plane? Do they still do that?. Thanks!

juliagray19 said...

I love Sonoma. There's a hotel in Sonoma called Metro Hotel and Cafe in Petaluma that Francophiles would love that's ripped out of Paris, or so said a Parisian man who now lives with his wife in Montreal whom I met on a tour of Sonoma wineries. Whomever owns this place has got to be French. Terrific Tours was a fantastic touring company for Sonoma wineries.

Unknown said...

"Place the foundation or bb cream on the back of your hand and dab the damp Beautyblender in the product."

I wear Bare Minerals powder foundation rather than liquid. Is the Beautyblender for liquid foundation only?

Thanks, Becky

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Hi Everyone... thank you for your comments and contributions!

Becky- the beautyblender is for liquid foundations only. It would not work with mineral makeup.

Caligirlbridget said...

Love the beauty blender and the prices on Amazon ! I agree you totally want to just use it on liquid foundation. I like to spritz it with a bit of water at times, depending on the amount of foundation I want to use that day.
It does work also (after applying it on a few areas of your face) blending in with a creme foundation I love from Cinema Secrets.
Jennifer, you maybe know it ,they have their only store in Burbank.
Thank you so much for the tips on Visiting Napa Valley
And I could not agree more about eating outside!

Truly enjoyed your book and your blog, am inspired and reminded throughout each day to glide through life with a bit more pose, chic and grace !

Blessings to you , Elke

Anonymous said...

Now you have me dreaming of a delicious picnic - fresh bread, cheese, salami, tomatoes and a glass of wine...
Unfortunately it's the coldest part of winter here in New Zealand, so I might have to wait a while!

Jacqui said...

I bought the beauty blender based on this post. I'm still trying it out, Two questions: 1. do you just keep dabbing until everything is covered? I found that (especially around the mouth) that it wasn't covering that well.
2. I tried cleaning it with soap and water. The foundation (dark stain on pink sponge) was not removed, What do you actually do to clean it completely?

Linda Kerr said...

Hi Jennifer thank you for all your tips,I really enjoy them. I do however have a question. I noticed you were carrying a Louis Vuitton bag. My personal opinion is that I do not care for these status symbols, especially with initials. They seem pretentious to me and I was somewhat surprised to see you with one. What is your opinion of obvious "signature" designer pieces? Especially very obvious ones. (And frightfully expensive,unless they are knockoffs.) II await your response.

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Linda- I've had my LV bag for years and I love it. It's one of four bags in my capsule collection. I'm sorry you feel it's pretentious. I think it's awfully chic and as with anything when worn a certain way looks marvelous.

Jacqui said...

Not sure you saw my comment (and question) about cleaning this beauty blender. My sponge doesn't get clean with just warm water and soap.

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Hi Jacqui, The discoloration from the foundation does not come off of my sponge either. You could try using the cleanser they sell although I have been assured from many sources that soap and water is all you need to keep it clean.

Unknown said...

Hello Jennifer,

Thank you for your lovely blog and all the wonderful information.
I like your Napa Valley picture with the hat. I like so much to try hats but I don't know the rules (if there is any!!), can I have it on indoors, like in a restaurant or while shopping in a mall? is there a certain type of hats preseason? I will appreciate it if you can help me here.
Thank you in advance and have a super lovely day.
Huda