5.25.2010

# beauty # Reviews

How to Have a Good Hair Day (My Favorite Products)



Hair is very important to this daily connoisseur, and I’m guessing to most women (and men!) that read this blog. Isn’t it true that when you’re having a good hair day you just feel beautiful? I went to a new salon last week and had my hair cut and styled (Valentino from Salon Nesou is wonderful) and received 4 compliments from strangers in the next two days that followed. I believe part of it had to do with my hair looking good but most of it had to do with the fact that I just felt, well... pretty!

And as any connoisseur knows... a good hair day does not come easy. It usually takes a combination of the right products, the right stylist and the right diet to achieve your desired look.

In this post I am focusing on my favorite products. I’ve experimented with a lot of hair care products over the years and these are my current favorites:

Kérastase Bain Oléo-Relax


This smoothing shampoo by high-end brand Kérastase is little expensive but so worth it (the shampoo retails for about $25- which is pricey if you're used to purchasing drug store shampoos). I always try and convince myself that the $6 drug store shampoo is just as good, but it simply isn’t so. The lucky thing is a little goes a long way so you don’t have to buy tubs of it. This shampoo smooths my hair and helps prevent frizz.

Açai Anti-Frizz Conditioner


This is actually the conditioner salons recommend you use after getting the Brazilian Blowout- which I fully intend on getting (and can’t wait to try!) but must wait until after the baby is born. In the meantime, the stylist used this conditioner on me and I loved the way it made my hair feel. It has deep conditioning properties, anti-frizz components and is rich with anti-oxidants.

Moroccan Oil

This oil has been described as liquid gold (and pretty much is as it costs around $40... but again- it's worth it...) It conditions, creates a beautiful shine and does not leave a residue. The instructions say to apply to wet hair and then style, but I believe it works just as well when you rub a tiny amount into your palms and work into the ends of your dry hair. It really moisturizes and softens.

Tigi Rockaholic Dirty Secret Dry Shampoo


My hair is quite dry and I use a lot of heat to style it so I only shampoo and condition a couple of times a week. I’ve heard that it is actually good to do this, rather than washing it every day, because the latter method can strip your hair of its natural oils and moisture. When I am in between washings, I like to use a dry shampoo to keep my hair looking fresh. I like the Oscar Blandi brand and I also like this one, as it does not leave a residue.

Chi Silk Infusion


I’ve mentioned this product before on my blog. I love using Chi Silk Infusion as a heat protectant right before I blow dry or flat iron my hair. It really leaves my hair silky (which is really quite a feat if you knew my hair). I love the stuff. Chi Silk Infusion retails at Target for around $25.

There you have my current favorite hair products.

I would love to know what you do to maintain beautiful hair...

The picture above was taken of me about a year and a half ago. I think the fact that I was having a good hair day prompted me to bring out my inner Tyra. ☺


I purchased all of the above products at my local salon (with the exception of Chi Silk Infusion- which I get at Target). I believe they are widely available in salons across America and in most cases can also be found on www.Amazon.com

14 comments:

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

Love tips on tried and true hair care products. Thanks for sharing your list. I will be shopping for a few of these. And, I am getting a haircut tomorrow. How timely!

Rebecca said...

I am always searching for the ultimate shampoo and conditioner.

It is so true that when the hair looks great everything else just seems to fall into place!

Alan Burnett said...

You used to be able to get beer shampoo but I've not seen it for years. Other than that coal tar shampoo (do you have it in the States) is a firm favourite.

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Lisa- Have fun at the salon- I always love taking the day off to get my hair done!

Rebecca- I still haven't found my ultimate holy grail conditioner. The trouble is that conditioners are sooo much more expensive than shampoos. I wanted to get the Kerastase one but it was around $60! And I really go through conditioner fast... let me know if you have any good ideas xo

Alan- LOL. Judging by your picture you have a head of great hair- so whatever you're doing is working!

Anonymous said...

i have just looked at your profile and now i understand why i find you such a kindred spirit.your star sign is cancer..when is yoyr birthday?mine is 7/7.efi from greece.

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Hi Efi- Yes I am a fellow Cancer! My birthday is July 18th. Thought my daughter might be born a Cancer but it looks like she will be a Leo... I hear that they are pretty great too :) Hope you are well and enjoying beautiful Greece xo

Lisa D. said...

Moroccanoil is pretty amazing. I also love Bumble & Bumble Holding Spray, and for a deep conditioner, I use L'Oreal Power Repair B every six weeks. :) Your photo is beautiful! :) I think I'd love to try any hair product called "Rockaholic." It's on my list.

Uxille said...

i know what you mean when you said you just felt pretty that day. :D good hair is so important.

i heard of chi, but i haven't tried it yet since my regular treatment works fine for me. but the best thing i ever did for my hair was investing in a no-heat hair dryer. it looks the same as all other dryers but it has this button that allows you to turn the heat off entirely. it's a lot less damaging to go heatless.

Josephine Tale Peddler said...

Hello, you look so beautiful in your photograph. I go to the best salon, they have won heaps of awards and is the coolest place you could imagine. Anything goes there. You could dress down or dress up as much as you liked and nobody would look twice. And the male hair colourist looks like Johnny Depp (bonus plus:)) They are expensive but worth every cent as their cuts and colours last for ages. I have to admit, I am overdue now and my hair is totally woeful. I always walk in feeling like death on two legs and walk out feeling like a movie star.
I have to send you the links to a few books I loved when I was pregnant. They are on style and pregnancy rather than the practical ones. I'll try to remember to do that very soon! xx

TryingHard said...

Oh I am such a sucker for recommendations for hair and skin!!! Especially from CA as I am stuck in So IL and while the stylists are ok they are not near the coast's standards. I have written down all you recommendations and am going to try them. I just cut my hair shorter as the humidity was making my hair and life miserable. I have naturally wavy hair so I am done trying to fight it with the flat iron. I love Morroccanoil. I use it after drying my hair to defrizz it. I'll also reapply it during the day and never have a problem with build up. I also had it foiled a sassy blonde so UGH now I have to condition like crazy even though it's Aveda color it still dries my hair out.

Thanks for the good recommendations. BTW your hair look FABULOUS.

OH and I think 8/16 is a good date to have your baby :)

J. said...

Oh, I have to try Moroccan oil one of these days, I've heard so many amazing things about it. Great list otherwise too!!

Rose said...

you have lovely hair! I like Kerastase too- spent years saying I'd never spend that much on shampoo and then realised it works and you only need a bit- also smells great which you know is important to me!

I am a big user of Frizz Ease being a curly haired gal- although I wear my curls with pride sometimes too! Good hair gives you a real spring in your step

Anonymous said...

Beautiful hair.

I am in the process of growing mine out after many years of a jaw-length bob. Anxious for something new and different. I'd love to have your length.

Marsi

Jane Parker said...

I am always searching for the ultimate shampoo and conditioner.