4.27.2015

# Japan # Madame Chic

My Japan Diary



I just spent one whirlwind of a week in Tokyo, Japan and recorded a video diary of my trip for you! What an amazing adventure this has been. Everyone I met has been so kind and generous. This week's video is a bit longer, but I hope that you will enjoy watching it as I share my adventures with you, including:

- my book signing
- misadventures in a Japanese drug store
- Japanese style observations
- A trip to the hama-rikyu gardens
- A traditional 10-course (!) Japanese dinner
- My television experience

and much, much more!


At dinner with the team from Daiwa Shobo and Japan Uni


after the book signing

If you are unable to see this week's video, click here, look in the sidebar of this blog, or check out my channel: www.youtube.com/TheDailyConnoisseur

Update: I will appear on The Most Useful School in the World on Japan's Nippon television, Saturday, May 23rd 7pm.

I would like to give a special thank you to my Japanese publishers, Daiwa Shobo, who were so welcoming and generous. I am very lucky to be with the best publishing house in Japan! Thank you to my representatives at Japan Uni Agency, who took care of me every step of the way. Thank you to Nippon Television for the amazing days of filming and the wonderful show to come!

Lastly, thank you to the many Japanese readers I got to meet while I was here. Your stories are inspirational and I feel privileged to have met you.



Jennifer x

Visit my Author Website

Facebook facebook.com/JenniferLScottAuthor

Twitter @JL_Scott

Instagram @dailyconnoisseur

Sign up for my Seasonal Author Newsletter

16 comments:

Beth25 said...

I loved seeing the video about your Japanese Trip. What a wonderful experience, good for you. My favorite part was the Peony Garden. I have 15 peonies which will bloom in the next 2-3 weeks. They are a lesson in patience, since they take several years to get started. My lilacs are blooming as are the Lily of the Valley--just in time for Premier Mai!! Thank you for sharing your trip.

Susan said...

Thank you for taking the time to put together this video post. It was a real treat. So much information and inspiration. Now, I need to find a Japanese drugstore and a peony garden to visit! :-)

C Bryan said...

Cannot wait to sit down and watch your Japan trip video! I've nearly finished Marie Kondo's book too, so your trip had me envisioning Madame Chic meets Japanese tidiness and order. I was wondering whether At Home with Madame Chic will be available on Kindle eventually?

Vicki Zimmerman said...

What a beautiful experience it was taking a virtual trip trip with you to Japan to meet your publishers and book fans in Tokyo.

Everything you showed was a treat, from your events and wonderful meals (I love Japanese food!) to your garden outing, pretty outfits and observations.

Looking forward to seeing what you were up to when May arrives. Welcome home! ^_^

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the video! It was more than I hoped you would be able to post!

Pammie said...

Wonderful video, Jennifer. What an amazing trip. I so enjoy your blog and videos, as well as both of your books. Thank you for all you do.

Laina Laughing said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rose said...

Jennifer that was so much fun! Thank you for taking us along with you, it was fun to see glimpses of Japan. I have heard that the Japanese people's hospitality is wonderful and you have shown that is so.

I'm reading my fifth Isabelle Dalhousie novel thanks to you mentioning Alexander McCall Smith a while back. :)

Unknown said...

Great video, I really enjoyed this! Congratulations on everything. I would spend hours in a Japanese drugstore, I know it.

You may enjoy reading the book by Japanese skin care guru Chizu Saeki called "The Japanese Skincare Revolution: How to Have the Most Beautiful Skin of Your Life--At Any Age". (Amazon carries it). That was where I first was introduced to those thin cloths as well. She says applying toner ("lotion" in Japan) with those cloths helps it sink in more and plumps up/nourishes the skin more than a quick swipe with a cotton round. I think she says in Japan their toners are more nourishing/moisturizing than the standard stripping American type toner.
I love that she talks about not needing to buy the most expensive skin care products, because she says you can often make a $10 skin cream act like a $100 skin cream if you use it carefully (warming the cream between your fingers before application, pressing the product into skin, etc.) It's a quick but great read.

Abbie said...

How fun! Thanks for sharing your travel diary. I particularly enjoyed seeing the gardens and your meals.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing your journey with us! Your enthusiasm is contagious....your zest for the details in every experience teaches women how to truly experience life. And by the way, you look amazing in the green DVF dress! As always, it's a pleasure to continue to read your posts.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing! What a delight. :)

Anonymous said...

Your posts are always so delightful! I almost feel as though I was with you in your hotel room, hearing about your day. You have such warmth and enthusiasm!

You're right about the cleanliness of Tokyo -- I was looking for any sign of litter as you walked along, and found none. Wouldn't it be nice if Americans would follow suit instead of assuming someone else would pick up after them.

Emeline Gardner said...

Lovely! It makes me so happy to see the success you're having. Way to be a lady. Thanks for encouraging the rest of us to do the same!

C Bryan said...

Ah yes, the face mask. Oriental skincare differs a bit from western in that they use a thing called 'essence' or lotion. There is no particular equivalent in our skincare, but the mask would have been drenched in hyaluronic acid, which is a brilliant humectant, and is used to plump the skin and keep it bouncy and hydrated.

Unknown said...

I loved this video Jennifer - i felt i was there with you experiencing your excitement about the trip! Thanks so much for sharing it with us! I would love it omgo to Tokyo one day and see it for myself.

Aisling