11.19.2009

# Movies # Reviews

My Top Ten Films of the Decade- #6 Lost in Translation


A film of quiet beauty, Sofia Coppola’s Lost in Translation (2003) is my sixth favorite film of the decade. Lost in Translation stars Bill Murray as aged movie star Bob Harris. Harris is in Tokyo to film a lucrative commercial for Suntory whiskey. There he meets Charlotte (Scarlett Johansson), the lonely wife of a busy celebrity photographer.

Bob and Charlotte create an unlikely friendship as they explore the wonderfully foreign landscape of Tokyo together. Sofia Coppola masterfully explores the fine nuance of yearning, of longing and of loneliness. Lost in Translation is experienced more as an existential slice of life- one that is not full of the usual thrills that one would expect from a love story- but one that is equally as satisfying...

Hats off to Sofia Coppola for making her second appearance on my Top Ten Films of the Decade- she is a director with a fresh vision and perspective and I so look forward to what she will bring us in the decade to come!

Won’t you stay tuned for my #5 pick?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy this one but I did. It was one of those movie that makes you think after you see it. Good selection!

Josephine Tale Peddler said...

Lovely pick, Jennifer. I also loved this movie. Sofia Coppola is one of my favourite directors. I also enjoyed The Virgin Suicides. Scarlett Johansson is not a favourite of mine but she was terrific in this movie. xx

Alan Burnett said...

This series is turning out to be most useful to someone who has recently got himself a new TV and Blu-Ray player. Keep the suggestions coming.

Rose said...

This film is so special- it feels like it's made just for you- to everybody. While I do like Sofia's other work this is head and shoulders above in my opinion. Bill Murray is utterly wonderful- I think he should have won the oscar this year. Scarlett Johansen is great too- in fact I prefer her earlier stuff like this and ghost world.

It's just so touching, so beautiful, I'm obsessed with going to the hotel in it and wandering the old city like she does.

Harnett-Hargrove said...

I can't believe I missed this.... I will put it on my netflix queue. -Jayne

Kristi said...

I adore Sofia Coppola. I actually own this movie, along with only a handful of others I have loved enough to purchase.

Rebecca said...

The ending was so touching. I find her films so intriguing. I wonder what her next film will be about?

Looking forward to the top five!

La Belette Rouge said...

I LOVE this movie. I have seen it at least 10 times. That last moment when Bob whispers to Charlotte splits my heart open. Really lovely movie. Definitely on my top ten list.

BigLittleWolf said...

I loved this film. So quirky, so subtle, so good. Great pick.

Catherine said...

I just realized that you were awarded by Lunasa...which I did the same. :) You are one very popular lady! I hope it brings people your way. I know that many will connect with you.

I am rather new to your blog but have really enjoyed reading through your posts. I love how you keep it real but with much style and grace.

Cat

The Daily Connoisseur said...

This film is so wonderful and judging by the people who have already seen it- I'm not the only one who adores it! For those of you that haven't seen it- you have a treat in store for you :) xo

Anonymous said...

Such an outstanding film. Sofia Coppola definitely needs to focus on directing material that she writes. She is in a class all by herself when she stays in the drama/comedy genre. She has a film coming out next year that she wrote called "Somewhere." It sounds like it has a similar tone to Lost in Translation and I expect that it will be excellent.