11.03.2009

# Books # Reviews

On Alexander McCall Smith



So many of you have expressed interest in the Alexander McCall Smith books that I review (and am obsessed with) on The Daily Connoisseur. Many of you asked me which book to start with (there are so many!) So below, I shall describe each series that I've read and list them in order. Here we go...

The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency

This is my favorite of the McCall Smith series. Taking place in Africa, these warm little gems follow Precious Ramotswe as she solves crime and leads a charming life in Botswana. I swoon over every book in this delightful series.

The order is as follows:

1- The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency
2- Tears of the Giraffe
3- Morality for Beautiful Girls
4- The Kalahari Typing School for Men
5- The Full Cupboard of Life
6- In the Company of Cheerful Ladies
7- Blue Shoes and Happiness
8- The Good Husband of Zebra Drive
9- The Miracle at Speedy Motors
10-Tea Time for the Traditionally Built
11-The Double Comfort Safari Club (not yet released)

The 44 Scotland Street series.


This wonderful series of books is written in the episodic manner and humorously follows the lives of the residents of 44 Scotland Street. I devour these books as well- they are humorous and life affirming. Highly recommended…

The order is as follows:

1- 44 Scotland Street
2- Espresso Tales
3- Love Over Scotland
4- The World According to Bertie
5- The Unbearable Lightness of Scones (not yet released)

The Isabel Dalhousie Series

I have recently reviewed The Careful Use of Compliments (and will post my review for The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday shortly). This is a delightful series. I adore Isabel and her life- following her philosophies and sleuthing through the beautiful streets of Scotland.

The order is as follows:

1- The Sunday Philosophy Club
2- Friends, Lovers, Chocolate
3- The Right Attitude to Rain
4- The Careful Use of Compliments
5- The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday
6- The Lost Art of Gratitude

There you have it. If you pick up one of Alexander McCall Smith’s books, I hope they bring you as much joy as they bring me…

Happy reading!


The picture above depicts a portion of my cherished book collection by Alexander McCall Smith…

10 comments:

Lillian said...

I, too, love Alexander McCall Smith!

He did a series in The Telegraph newspaper titled "Courderoy Mansions". He now has the next book in this series titled "The Dog Who Came In From The Cold" running as a series in the newspaper. Right now it's at Chapter 38 but you can go back to Chapter 1 and start at the beginning.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/corduroymansionsbyalexandermcca/

Lisa D. said...

I have never read Alexander McCall Smith - I think I'll have to check them out. I've added the first of the first series you described to my queue @ the library!!

vicki archer said...

I don't know this author so I shall save this post...thanks Jennifer, xv.

Alan Burnett said...

I seem to remember that I started reading The No 1 Lady's several years ago and didn't continue for reasons now long forgotten. This is surprising because I thoroughly enjoyed the TV serialisation. Spurred on by your enthusiasms I will have another go.

Josephine Tale Peddler said...

I keep meaning to read him and will have to one day. Your reviews always make me curious. So many books piled up waiting! xx

Kristi said...

Now, I know why I recognize the name, from the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series ...
Thanks for the info
Kristi

JennyMac said...

Love great books rec. Thanks for sharing this list.

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Lillian- I love to meet fellow McCall Smith admirers :) I have the book "Courderoy Mansions" on my Amazon wishlist (I think they put the earlier posts in book form...) but it is listed as 'currently unavailable'. Thank you so much for this link! xo

Coastal Chicster, Vicki, Josephine, Kristi and JennyMac- If you get a chance to read any of the books I'd love to know what you think!

Alan- I hope you rekindle a like for No. 1 on your second go... If not, you might like his other series that take place in Scotland...

tishjett@yahoo.com said...

I've read the Ladies No.1 Detective Agency, but didn't know about all the others.

I'm on it. Went to W.H. Smith yesterday to get some escape reading. Next time I will search out Alexander McCall Smith.

Merci, merci.

(Did you notice I finally figured out, or my computer accepted my attempts to get you up and on. It was probably my fault.)

Rose said...

I've read some Number 1 ladies detective books- they are very charming and uplifting. I do want to read the 44 series very much. So many books, so little time!!

Have you seen the TV adaptation of No 1 Ladies?... I haven't seen the series but I saw the first long episode/ film by Anthony Minghella. It was shown here just after he died- it's infused with his good spirit as well as the lovely tone of the book. I loved it.