6.10.2013

# Gatsby # Home and Garden

My Patio Garden



Thank you for your great response to last week's video, What's in my Fridge? I really enjoyed reading what food you keep in your home. I'm going through a whole reinvention process with how I cook, feed my family and organize the kitchen (which, of course, I'll share with you in the future) and it was fun for me to do the video.

To continue the theme of home tours, today's video shows you my patio garden. I keep container plants: roses (Mr. Lincoln and Double Delight— my two favorite!), camelia, jasmine, geranium and vines. I find with container plants that frequent fertilizer is necessary for them to thrive. I use an organic plant food from my local garden center.

Our patio space is compact but we get a lot of enjoyment from it. The scent from the jasmine and roses is quite strong this time of year and wafts into our bedroom like perfume— it's really lovely.

If you are unable to see the above video, which includes an appearance from Gatsby, click here, look in the sidebar of this blog, or visit my channel: www.youtube.com/TheDailyConnoisseur

Have a wonderful week x


♥ Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and families affected by the shootings in Santa Monica last week. Santa Monica is a beautiful place to live and we feel devastated that these horrible acts of violence have touched us here. We won't let it get us down, however. We will rise above it and continue to thrive in our beloved little seaside town ♥

Visit my Author Website

Like my Facebook Page

Follow me on Twitter

Sign up for my Seasonal Author Newsletter

9 comments:

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Jennifer your pocket patio garden is lovely and I love that you have opted for fragrant specimens which further add to the sensory experience of being in a sweet spot!

M.Lane said...

Gatsby is VERY cute! Does he travel with you?

I love your garden, it must be a great place of quietude for you. Alas, I am the horticultural Darth Vader and have no chance of replicating it...

ML

Kathryn Bechen said...

You did a lovely job on a tiny terrace Jennifer; you've packed a lot of beauty in there with so many varied plants! :)

Greenjane72 said...

Hi Jennifer. Here I am having a coffee break from my tuesday cleaning etc and treated myself to your patio tour. How lovely! I know about longing for a garden after living in a tiny place in central London for 10 yrs before moving back to Australia. I now have a garden and I love it but its a lot of work I must confess. Some days I long for my tiny London balcony with roses in manageable pots! We currently have roses, lavender, rosemary, a few fruit trees ( more oranges and grapefruit at the moment than we can handle!), geraniums, ivy (bit out of control) and my children recently helped me plant a herb garden. They have delighted in it and go out with torches every night before bed to hunt for snails :)

Anyway what I actually wanted to say was your video a few weeks ago on 15 min tidying up sparked my interest in Anthea Turners DVD. Oh my goodness!!! I see what you mean. If I knew how to attach photos to this I'd send you a picture of my newly folded towels :). The pleasure I got out of this is a little embarrassing.

A question for you about wardrobe planning - once you have your spring wardrobe (as you do) do you stop looking at spring/summer clothes? How do you manage if you see something you love but that you don't officially 'need' now for spring? This is something I struggle with a bit. I confess I have shopaholic issues which are finally coming under control... Talk soon. So love your videos. Jane x

Amy said...

Gorgeous garden, Jennifer. I had NO IDEA you could grow Mr. Lincoln's in a container garden. Thanks for the inspiration!

Unknown said...

Enchanting! Thank you for sharing!

On an unrelated note, what blusher are you wearing? You makeup is beautiful, as usual, but your cheeks have a hint of shimmer - which looks lovely.

What are you wearing?

Luli said...

I enjoyed your patio garden tour very much!! I am so glad you share tidbits of your home with us.

Unknown said...

Thank you for the patio tour, Jennifer! Your plants are lovely! I wish you show us your outdoor lighting on the patio. Do you know they have an effect on them? They could either be good or bad depending on the type of light and distance of it from your plants.
Regards,
Allison Shallenberger @ OutDoorLights.com

Vicki Zimmerman said...

It was so much fun to see that you are a gardener, through and through, and delighted in flowers and plants from the the beginning of our Blog to today. You create beauty through appreciation wherever you live and what a gift that is. Those of two my favorite roses, as well, and we have them in a planter in our backyard. So fragrant!