9.26.2009

# Charity # fashion

The Uniform Project


Weren't we just talking about the merits of a minimalistic wardrobe? You can imagine my delight when I came across a video about The Uniform Project this morning on cnn.com. The Uniform Project is pledge by Sheena Matheiken to wear the same dress for one entire year. Yes, 365 days. She is doing this to raise awareness and funds for the Akanksha Foundation- which benefits the education of underprivileged children in India.

Here are the particulars. Matheiken has seven identical dresses (designed by sustainable fashion designer Eliza Starbuck) that she wears each day of the week. The only thing she changes are her accessories. She has (wisely) chosen a little black dress to be the only thing she will wear for three hundred and sixty five days as (we all know) the LBD can take you anywhere (although I doubt she'll be attending the opera any time soon).

What a marvelous experiment for a worthy cause. I truly applaud this young woman's innovative efforts to raise awareness for a cause dear to her heart. I bet her closet is the most minimal of them all... seven little black dresses... I love it!

For more information on The Uniform Project, or to make a donation, please click here.

To view the video, please click here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a very unique and interesting project. It's a good thing she will be able to get all kinds of accessories to jazz things up.

Hopefully it brings a lot of attention to the cause!

LA Frog said...

Brilliant idea. Totally fits the French notion that the killer is in the details, i.e. accessorizing. Bold, but feasible -- with style, especially with an LBD!

Sharon McPherson said...

Great post! I think I am a minimilist girl at heart.

I once had a job in an all female office - an environment full of bitchy women. One day I had been on an errand and on my return to the office I heard everyone say shhh ... they had been talking about me. Before the shhh, I heard someone say, 'She only has a job so that she can wear a different outfit everyday."

Well, I wasn't offended because I was tickled pink by the comment: I had been wearing the same black skirt every day jazzed up with different accessories to create different looks. It was in the days of my being a single parent and I didn't have the budget to buy a new wardrobe for this job.

Within two weeks though, I found myself a new job. :)

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Michael- I hope so too! It's such an innovative idea to raise money for charity... really inspiring.

LA Frog- Just looking at her website- she has a picture posted for each day- it's amazing what you can do with accessories!

Sharon- I love that you wore the same skirt everyday and changed your accessories- And as for those 'ladies' at your old job? I find that malicious gossip often stems from jealousy... keep workin it girl! :)

Dining on Deals said...

So inspiring! Since I never accessorize and hate to shop - I feel like everyone knows I wear the same clothes over and over again:) Maybe I'll start trying to accessorize!