10.31.2011

# Happy Holidays

Seasonal Delights

Hello and Happy Halloween to everyone...

I do love this time of year- the Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays really put me in a festive mood.

Here are a few seasonal delights I take pleasure in...

Comfy slippers for pottering around the house...



These are my Rococo slippers fashioned after Marie Antoinette's very own bedroom slippers. They are from a company called Goody Goody (www.goodygoodyshoes.com) who make whimsical house slippers for men, women and children. I bought mine at the museum shop at the Getty Center when visiting the Paris Life & Luxury exhibit. They add a certain panache and flair to my ordinary house clothes...

Steaming cups of tea in china cups...





As I am a hopeless romantic, this is my favorite china cup (mug?) commemorating the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and their marriage. This was a gift from my husband for my birthday (he knew I'd like this one!) and I drink out of it every day...

Cooking and baking seasonal treats...


I've always looked at the Gooseberry Patch cookbooks and admired their quaint charm. This one is the Quick and Easy Christmas version with over 220 quick recipes that are perfect for the holiday season. Everything from breakfast casseroles, to comforting main courses to decadent holiday treats (like homemade fudge). I just received it and have been busy marking up the recipes I wish to try. I'll give you an update on how they turn out! I bought mine from Amazon.com

I'll be sharing many more of my favorite seasonal delights for the holidays in the weeks and months to come, including my very favorite holiday candle...

I would love to know... what are your seasonal delights this time of year?


The Daily Connoisseur is now available on Amazon Kindle

Visit my Author Website

Like my Facebook Page

Follow me on Twitter

7 comments:

Tabby O said...

Wow, those slippers are gorgeous!

I don't celebrate Christmas for religious reasons and as I'm in Australia, we don't celebrate Thanksgiving. Halloween seems to be a bigger event in America, but I enjoy celebrating by dressing in black and wearing red lipstick. This year, I helped organise a Halloween event at my University - a costume competition then snacks/scary films :)

I imagine I'll celebrate it more after I graduate, because I'll actually have the time!

Hope you have a lovely Halloween.

Shelley said...

Pulling out my boots and cashmere socks that I wear with long skirts. I'm not that fussed about what's in fashion - this is practical clothing for me and fun to wear, not to mention warm! Walking in the fallen leaves. Having the fire on in the dining room at breakfast and dinner, also in the living room after dark and after dinner. Planning the invitations list for Thanksgiving - sometimes just family, sometimes everyone I know! Celery and savoy cabbage are at their best in November, two of my favourite veg! Otherwise, business as usual.

Rose said...

mulled cider for halloween and bonfire night- hot water bottles- sitting by the fire (it's not actually cold enough in London yet but I went to Scotland a few weeks ago and it definitely was there) having hot baths and getting in a good pair of PJs afterwards...

Kathleen said...

Oh my goodness, I think you and I need to go shoe/slipper shopping. Those slippers are grand!

It makes a difference if you feel a little 'dressed up' at home, even if your just changing the linens and cooking that day.

Warmly, Kathleen

Anonymous said...

For Halloween it's the Peanut's Great Pumpkin movie playing while we all put on costumes and do eathother's make-up, chatting excitedly & taking pictures w/ our carved, lighted pumpkin face.

Thangsgiving I make my family famous pumpkin pies for the occassion. Then the entire extended family converges at Momma & Poppa's home for chow and football.

For Christmas the first thing we do is the day after Thanksgiving go to the local pine farm and choose our tree. Bring it home and decorate while listening to Johnny Mathis & Chipmunk xmas songs & drink hot cocoa to warm us up again.

These are traditions I grew up with and it's made my life much more fun to continue them with my own.

Saisons heureuses, everyone! oooxxx

Lacey R said...

I too adore the slippers!

Halloween is fairly low-key for us, we already had our Canadian Thanksgiving in October (usually have a turkey dinner with one side of the family - Thanksgiving in Canada is not as huge as US Thanksgiving). This year we will be celebrating American Thanksgiving as we will be in the US then (looking forward to it!)

As for Christmas, we usually decorate our tree the first Sunday in December (or the first Sunday of Advent), I have carried on the tradition from my family. Both Hubs' family and mine celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve, so we alternate holidays with the family every year. Watching Christmas movies/shows is a must, particularly The Grinch, Christmas Vacation, Home Alone and many others! (ok this is turning into a Christmas traditions comment...will have to turn it into a post! lol)

The Daily Connoisseur said...

I just love love love hearing about your seasonal delights and traditions. I might do a post where I list reader's special holiday traditions... wouldn't that be great?

Tabby O- Halloween was the funnest for me when I was at university- oh the times we had! Hope you enjoyed yours :)

Shelley- Your traditions sound fab... and cashmere socks- so delightful - what a treat!

Rose- Scotland at Christmastime sounds so romantic. I could picture myself in a rather cold and drafty castle- cold but romantic! Love mulled cider too :)

Kathleen- When I tell you I love my slippers I do not exaggerate. I'll need a new pair soon as I've worn these everyday all day! Have you checked out their website? The most adorable slippers- would make great gifts too...

LMK- Love your traditions. My husband and I are talking about what traditions we want to have for our daughter- it's so exciting to think we will create seasonal memories for her too :)

LR- Christmas Vacation is the best movie of them all... SO hilarious. My husband doesn't quite get the American humor but I still make him watch the dvd every year. Last year it went missing and I can't help but think he had something to do with it...hmmmm