9.10.2012

The Etiquette of Modern Correspondence and Looking Perfectly Polished



In this new age of instant communication, where you can send off a note to someone with the click of a button, sometimes proper etiquette gets a bit lost in the shuffle, as you will see in this week's video.

I recently emailed the mother of a good friend of mine and addressed her by her first name, which I had never used until this point. Of course I realized my faux pas only after pressing send. As I say in the video, this isn't the end of the world, but it brings up a great point about how thoughtful (or thoughtless) we are being with the new ways we communicate.

If you are unable to see the embedded video sharing my cautionary tale about the etiquette of modern correspondence, click here, look in the sidebar of this blog, or visit my channel: www.youtube.com/TheDailyConnoisseur

I would love to know your thoughts on the subject... has this ever happened to you?

Redbook Magazine

I was once again interviewed for Redbook Magazine, this time for a piece called 7 Ways to Look Perfectly Polished. Looking polished does not require you to buy new things, but to work with what you already have. It's all about attention to detail. I hope you enjoy my tips! To read the Redbook article, click here.

Until next time...

Visit my Author Website

Like my Facebook Page

Follow me on Twitter

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

I would suggest you revert to calling her Mrs...
As you mentioned, she had never suggested you use her given name, and perhaps she is more comfortable with being addressed that way. Great post. Another good reason for the written note.

Merveilleux said...

I would think it depends on if she closed her email with just her first name. If she did, I'd think it would be okay to use it. Love your hair in the video!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I understand completely and if the email were coming to me and I had known you for years I would not have blinked an eye. I do think though that people who are senior to use expect to be addressed as Mr. or Mrs.

The Redbook tips are great btw!
Sensible yet chic.

Dee J said...

Recently I had a few awkward email exchanges over a similar issue. It's so tricky knowing when to address professors as "Dr." Some insist, while others prefer 1st name basis. This reminds me of the whole "vouvoyer" thing too.

Enjoyed your Redbook article, thanks!

Anonymous said...

Interesting discussion. You could always send a note saying you hope she didn't mind your using her first name, but you felt so close to her, etc, etc.

Anonymous said...

I didn't get to watch your video yet (because I was just making a quick visit while sipping coffee at work), but I did read your Redbook interview. Fabulous tips! And congrats on the interview. =)