7.02.2012

# beauty # France

Jolie Laide (and I'm on Facebook)



Happy Independence Day!

Before this week's post begins I'm happy to share with you that I (finally) have an author Facebook page. I do hope you will 'like' it to get the latest news and updates from my blog and books. Click here to visit my new page or visit: http://www.facebook.com/JenniferLScottAuthor

As this week is somewhat of a holiday I will go light on the blogging but wanted to share my follow up video with you that has further thoughts on the concept of jolie laide. I received a great response from last week's post on the subject and had a few requests to discuss it more.

Discovering the French concept of jolie laide (ugly pretty) was a really important aspect of stepping into my femininity. It was the moment where I decided to embrace all of my 'imperfections' and learn how to make the best of my features.

It's a wonderful concept to teach our daughters as well- that we do not need to fit into a certain glossy magazine mold in order to be beautiful...

If you are unable to see my above embedded video, click here, look in the sidebar of this blog, or visit my channel: www.youtube.com/TheDailyConnoisseur. I am whispering in the video as I did not want to wake up Baby Connoisseur no. 2. (watch to see how that goes...)

Also, thank you to blogger Vintage Bel for featuring me in her Glamorous Mum series this week. Click here to see her article.

I hope you all have a wonderful week with your families. See you soon!

Visit my Author Website

Like my Facebook Page

Follow me on Twitter

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy 4th!
I just finished watching W.E. and I was amused at the opening scene of Wallis taking a bath in 1927 with Philosophy's "Falling in Love" body wash. Lol. They could've at least poured it into a nice glass container or something. I enjoyed the film otherwise. :)

Anonymous said...

This video made me smile. You are so right! Thanks for the introduction to the concept of jolie laide. =) Happy 4th of July!

Lisa

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Courtney- I didn't see that... hilarious! Now I want to watch it again to catch the Philosophy bottle.

Thank you Lisa! x

Karena said...

I adore this concept. The unique features of a woman are what distinguishes her beauty. When I look back at portraits o glamorous women of the past eras ( all the way back to Cleopatra) they were not all classically and evenly proportioned women.

Their strength and allure came from confidence and pride in how they dressed, etc.

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Gina said...

It never fails: a pretty woman struggles with self-esteem because she doesn't identify as pretty based on her peers -- or worse, comments from people.

This is a wonderful concept. I only wish we (as women in our 30s and 40s) could bring this message to young girls and women in their 20s!