2.01.2016

# 10 Item Wardrobe # maternity

Maternity Wardrobe Updates



My apologies for the lateness of this post. My youngest daughter has been very ill this past week, but thankfully she is on the mend and improving every day. She is such a trooper!

Ever since I announced the news that we are expecting baby number three, many people have asked about my maternity wardrobe and how that will affect my ten-item wardrobe. In this week's video, I give you all of the updates.

I do not fit into most of my ten-item wardrobe clothes from winter anymore. I am still wearing the Loft fluid ankle pants because their drawstring waist allows room for my larger stomach. I can also wear the green Talbots tee due to its flowy waist. The floral Garnet Hill dress still fits me as well, but that is pretty much it!

I have made supplemental purchases in the form of a sweater tunic from Motherhood Maternity, a knit tunic, two nautical maternity tees, a denim maternity dress and black maternity skirt all from Old Navy maternity. The pregnancy period is such a short period of time, it is a must for me to buy affordable clothes that grow with me through to the third trimester. Because we are in winter, fleece leggings and tights are also a must.

In this week's video I show you how I layer my clothes and how you can make a tunic and leggings look more stylish.

Please watch this week's video to see all. The shoes I'm wearing in the video are booties from Aerosoles.

If you are unable to see the video above, click here, look in the sidebar of this blog, or visit my channel: www.youtube.com/TheDailyConnoisseur

In the video, I reference Jen Hatmaker's very funny video on why leggings are not pants . Enjoy!


News
Lessons from Madame Chic tops the list of 6 classy nonfiction books to read on the plane from Hepcat Hannah.

Taylor Jenan is bringing Polish Your Poise with Madame Chic in her carry-on luggage.

Enter to win a copy of Polish Your Poise with Madame Chic, along with a set of luxurious Christy linens and towels in their generous giveaway. Enter here (for US residents only).

Comment of the Week
Jane writes:

My Goodness this is so on time, Jennifer. I have been making some small steps toward de-cluttering and simplifying, but honestly as a stay-at-home-mother without a morning routine I find myself making so many excuses for why I am still in a bathrobe even into the evenings on some days! The truth is I just haven't developed the self-discipline to get myself together. When my husband has a day off I have an impetus to get ready to go out, but if I know I will be home all day I will excuse myself from looking presentable as "no one will see me." The truth is my son sees me everyday, and setting a good example for him should be reason enough. However, it took a surprise visit from my brother-in-law and his wife the other afternoon, while I was in said robe, to realize that it was in my best interest to start taking some pride in my appearance. I was totally mortified. I would never leave the house looking like that, so why subject myself and everyone around me to looking at a woman who literally resembles an Abilify ad, wearing that all-too-comfortable fluffy blue robe? I don't want to be a hot mess (visual clutter) anymore! I am going to start implementing a morning routine because I know deep down, I have been waking up on the wrong side of the bed and staying stuck and wishing I could "catch up." I am going to try to model my routine after some of you ladies! Thanks for sharing & inspiring!


Hi Jane, It's wonderful to hear how excited and motivated you now feel to start a morning routine! I find it to be very important to the function of the whole day. Madame Chic had a morning routine too and she never strayed from it during the time I lived with them. Check back in and let us know how it goes!

Artistic Recommendation


Check out my blogging friend, Jenny Williams', adorable Etsy shop called, Carrot Top Paper Shop. She has created beautiful artwork of famous literary heroines like Anne Shirley, Jane Eyre and Elizabeth Bennet for little girls' rooms. I just adore the idea and her artwork is beautiful. Jenny is so kind to offer my readers a 20% discount all this week. Use the code madamechiclove. Thank you, Jenny!


This week I would love to know about your experience with maternity clothes. What works and what doesn't work for your maternity wardrobe? What do you feel most comfortable in during your pregnancies?

See you Thursday for a special bonus video on the importance of play as adults...




Visit my Author Website

Facebook facebook.com/JenniferLScottAuthor

Twitter @JL_Scott

Instagram @dailyconnoisseur

Sign up for my Seasonal Author Newsletter

12 comments:

Caley said...

Thank you for sharing Jennifer! I am in my first trimester with my second child and am feeling like I will be "popping" much sooner with this pregnancy. I have started thinking ahead to my spring and summer wardrobes, and how I will incorporate maternity-friendly clothing. Last time, I was able to get away with minimal maternity clothing (jeans and a few tee shirts) and simply wore looser fitting "regular" clothes. I was thinking of foregoing the jeans this time around and sticking to leggings, tunics, and dresses since I will have the whole summer to get through with this one! I am looking forward to your blog posts and videos this year, as I will certainly relate to a lot of what you are experiencing! Good luck!

Maureen said...

Great video! I am just starting my second trimester and have begun to make some wardrobe adjustments. As a matter of fact, I was planning on laying out my maternity 10-item wardrobe tonight, putting away the regular items which are starting to fit uncomfortably. I recently purchased two maternity dresses from Seraphine and love them. I don't quite need to wear them yet, but once I'm in that stage, I plan to wear them with leggings and sweaters until the weather turns warmer. I also wanted to recommend ASOS' maternity line. They have great, very affordable dresses, leggings, tights, etc. I purchased a lovely maternity dress from ASOS, which looks like a regular dress. As a matter of fact, I like it so much, I wore it to work once late in my first trimester, before my colleagues knew I was pregnant, and I got complements on my new dress from everyone in the office.

Dawna said...

Hi Jennifer. I just stumbled across your blog because I googled your name after reserving one of your Madame Chic books at my library. I am so excited to dive into these books as I am fascinated by the French way of life after reading French Women Don't Get Fat by Mireille Guiliano.

I am a Momma of many who loves to dress fashionable yet simply, especially while pregnant. With six children to care for I cannot always don chiffon, however I have found that several pairs of leggings and a few cute tunics can go far with a comfortable yet stylish pair of shoes and a scarf. I prefer the mary jane style of shoes because they go with just about anything and do not aggravate my sciatica like a pair of heels do. I enjoy having a few pairs of jeans in my wardrobe but the staple for me are beautiful skirts paired with a simple shirt. Most shirts I purchase a size or two larger than normal rather than purchasing actual maternity shirts and, I shop consignment shops as I can purchase top quality for a fraction of the cost.

Enjoy the journey of pregnancy... it goes by so quickly!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I am so glad you shared your 10 item wardrobe updates! I've been following your blog for quite a while and love all of your books. I've been working on downsizing my closet as well. I'm now expecting our first child and 24 weeks along -- and the ideas around the 10 item wardrobe were key to cultivating a set of maternity clothes that would be chic and also comfortable, so thank you! I went with the London Bump kit and a navy and polka dot wrap dress from Séraphine, a pair of maternity jeans from J. Crew, a few t-shirts from Motherhood Maternity I found at a deep discount, and my usual long sleeve t-shirts, cardigans, and sweaters are still working so far. Now, I'm looking forward to creating a nursing-friendly summer capsule collection!

Unknown said...

My go for maternity/nursing wear is the French online brand Vertbaudet. It's French chic and affordable! The quality is not the best but the design and colour is so French, you will definitely have a different "air" when you wear it. Their maternity/nursing nighties are also very French.

Evaline said...

Hi Jennifer,
Lovely video. I have a book suggestion for you even though I have not finished reading the book. It is called The Art of Grace, on moving well through life. The author is Sarah L Kaufman. The author quotes from Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar about the finger bowl incident, and elaborates on how gracious the hostess was in not pointing out to young Sylvia that she should not have eaten the water and petals in the finger bowl. Without having been there, I wonder if Madame Chic could have found a more gracious and private way of teaching you the french way of eating bread and cheese...using humour perhaps. In any case, I think this book may be right up your alley...she talks a lot about Cary Grant, but other more serious topics, too.

Elisabeth Ensor said...

thanks for your maternity update! I agree completely about leggings- NOT PANTS! Thanks for explaining HOW TO WEAR them in a Chic way! I also loved the Jen Hatmaker video! I'm amazed at how much controversy leggings bring up, it's usually by people who don't want to put effort into their personal style :(

Jane said...

I am so happy I was chosen as comment of the week! So far so good with the routine. As long as a get up and get presentable right away with a cup of something to tempt me (this week has been ginger green tea or coffee), I can get on with everything else. Also nice soithing music, like Debussy, helps to kind of, gently coax me into the land of the living. It is a chain reaction and the habit is only easy for me to get into if I reward myself... So everytime I feel like I have made a substantial step toawrd my goal I have a tiny "treat."
As far as maternity wear goes, I was very lucky with my son. He is my first baby and I didn't gain much weight or start showing until my last trimester. So I got by in winter/spring with one pair of maternity jeans, a few larger tunics, and leggings. And then in my last trimester, which fell in the hot summer I wore mostly jersey maxi dresses with a kimono type sleeve or smocked bust (very bohemienne & forgiving).
I only wish I had invested in more comfortable supportive sandals but my feet were changing so dramatically and my ankles were so swelled the thought of shoe shopping overwhelmed me! All I could wear for a month after my son was born were cheap ugg (ugh) boot as I went from a size 9.5 to an 11! I take a 10 to this day... Once I lost the water weight I got a nice pair of Michael Kors riding boots.

God bless you & baby connoisseur!

-Janey

Jane said...

I am so happy I was chosen as comment of the week! So far so good with the routine. As long as a get up and get presentable right away with a cup of something to tempt me (this week has been ginger green tea or coffee), I can get on with everything else. Also nice soithing music, like Debussy, helps to kind of, gently coax me into the land of the living. It is a chain reaction and the habit is only easy for me to get into if I reward myself... So everytime I feel like I have made a substantial step toawrd my goal I have a tiny "treat."
As far as maternity wear goes, I was very lucky with my son. He is my first baby and I didn't gain much weight or start showing until my last trimester. So I got by in winter/spring with one pair of maternity jeans, a few larger tunics, and leggings. And then in my last trimester, which fell in the hot summer I wore mostly jersey maxi dresses with a kimono type sleeve or smocked bust (very bohemienne & forgiving).
I only wish I had invested in more comfortable supportive sandals but my feet were changing so dramatically and my ankles were so swelled the thought of shoe shopping overwhelmed me! All I could wear for a month after my son was born were cheap ugg (ugh) boot as I went from a size 9.5 to an 11! I take a 10 to this day... Once I lost the water weight I got a nice pair of Michael Kors riding boots.

God bless you & baby connoisseur!

-Janey

Charitie Martino said...

If there is any a time to follow the simplistic, quality-over-quantity wardrobe code, pregnancy is it. Like all mothers know, growing a child depletes physical and mental energy, with stamina concerning one's appearance being the first to go. Effort directed towards a polished ensemble diminishes and oftentimes makes the mother feel less than attractive, which is absolutely absurd because pregnant women always exhibit a radiant glow. Pregnant women should take the time to make themselves feel beautiful; take every opportunity to enjoy being pregnant.

Charitie
Vis à Vis

Lynne said...

Hi Jennifer,
I just wanted to let you know how much I have appreciated your blog and books. Like many people I have been captivated by the 10 item wardrobe and I'm finally implementing it. I was thrilled to discover how much money I can save when I stay true to my style, and don't feel pulled (too much :) ) by trends. Now I can take advantage of the end of season sales and buy quality pieces for very little. I bought a beautiful winter dress and blouse yesterday for 50% off and will get a bit of wear out of them this season and for many years to come. Thank you and congratulations on your pregnancy!
Lynne