5.09.2016

# look presentable always # maternity

Pregnancy Chat Part 1: Weight, Beauty, Drinks and Pajamas


I hope you had a wonderful mother's day weekend! This week, I have two videos for you discussing pregnancy. In today's video, I talk about my own journey with this third pregnancy (I am currently 34 weeks pregnant), with everything from weight gain, to hair loss, to skincare and beauty. I also recommend my favorite non-caffeinated drinks and show you some presentable pajamas. On Thursday, be sure to check back with the blog, because I will answer your motherhood and pregnancy related Facebook questions.

If you are unable to see the video above, click here, look in the sidebar of this blog, or visit my channel: www.youtube.com/TheDailyConnoisseur

Items mentioned in this week's video:

Baby Be Mine maternity nightgown

Everly Grey maternity nursing pajama set

Pero instant natural beverage



Teeccino** Dandelion Caramel Nut (pictured above, made with the coconut cream and almond milk creamer)

Teeccino** Vanilla Nut (this one is my favorite!)

Califia Farms Better Half unsweetened coconut and almond milk creamer (so delicious!)



Rooibos Rocks tea (pictured above, iced)

** There are conflicting reports on whether chicory causes uterine contractions during pregnancy. Teeccino's official statement is that their chicory herbal teas are safe during pregnancy. This is their official statement from their website:

"Is Teeccino safe for pregnant women and nursing mothers?
YES! All the herbs in Teeccino have been in the human diet for thousands of years. There are no stimulants or drugs like caffeine that could cause uterine contractions or hyperactivity by the infant.
Although there is misinformation repeated on some internet sites about chicory being contraindicated during pregnancy, there is no scientific substantiation of this claim. On the contrary, there is the long history of pregnant women drinking chicory-based beverages with no problems whatsoever.
Teeccino is nutritious for both mom and baby. Many health care practitioners, midwives and doctors recommend Teeccino to their pregnant patients. Learn more about the effects of coffee and caffeine on women’s health."

To be safe, be sure to ask your doctor if chicory tea is safe for you to take during pregnancy.

News
La Dame Darling recommends Polish Your Poise with Madame Chic as one of 7 Darling Books for April

Honey We're Home recommends Lessons from Madame Chic and At Home With Madame Chic for great French reads.

Comment of the Week
Last week's discussion on screen time etiquette and addiction was amazing! So many of you chimed in with your observations, questions and musings. I really loved this comment from AquinoFamily99. She was responding to the question that some of you posed, asking about the difference between crayons and screens at restaurants for children. I loved her insights! Here is an excerpt from her comment:

Screens vs paper @ restaurants -
Usually when kids are coloring or writing on paper they are very reachable, as someone else stated. On the screen, whether they are playing or socializing, they are usually unreachable to the people present.
Usually. Not always.

I have read several articles over the last few years about the real, physiological addiction and the brain chemistry concerning electronic games and computers. The symptoms are similar to that of drug addiction where taking the 'drug' away causes withdrawal, denial, guilt and physical illness! It's worse for kids. There are programs and safehouse-type institutions to help addicts!

We keep our kids screen time down to once a week and are very choosy about the games. I have seen the addiction begin first hand in one of my children as his behavior dramatically changed. This is a serious issue.

Screen vs paper books -
I don't think anyone here would judge you for reading on Kindle, checking email, playing a game or using social media, just as we would not judge if you were reading a book.
It's more about when you do these things and whether it's keeping you from living life or spending time with humans.
If you wouldn't pull out a novel on a date, you shouldn't pull out a kindle book or other screen activity.


AquinoFamily99, I couldn't have put it better myself. I really loved your input on both of the issues you touched upon. I have noticed with my own children that when it's time to put the screen away, they develop irrational behavior (tantrums, anger, defiance), where as with a simpler project such as a coloring book and crayons, they do not have such swinging emotions. Because of this, we seriously limit screen time in our house and, like you, are very picky about what they do play with. Thanks for your wonderful comment! And thank you to everyone else you weighed in on this discussion. It's worth checking out the comment section on both the blog and YouTube channel to see what your other connoisseurs are saying about this subject. I will do a part two on this topic one day in the near future.

This week, I would love to know your thoughts on the pregnancy chat. Do you have any stories or recommendations for us? Have you tried any of the herbal coffees or teas I recommend? Also, what do you think about AquinoFamily99's comment on screen time? Let us know, and your comment could be chosen as comment of the week on the blog.

See you on Thursday for part two of the pregnancy chat videos.



FTC: All items mentioned in this video were purchased by me. All opinions are my own.

Visit my Author Website

Facebook facebook.com/JenniferLScottAuthor

Twitter @JL_Scott

Instagram @dailyconnoisseur

Sign up for my Seasonal Author Newsletter

22 comments:

Sonya said...

You look radiant! I agree that pretty pyjamas are a must for the postpartum phase. Especially during those late-night feeding sessions, it's nice to feel feminine and put-together. All the best for the rest of your pregnancy and beyond!

Laura Gail said...

Loved this video! I haven't commented on a while but I'm still following your journey. Every time you are pregnant, I am as well. :) I'm 21 weeks and we are finally having a girl (Charlotte Grace) - so excited!!!!!

Thanks for the creamer recommendation; I plan to check my whole foods on Saturday for it because I love coconut flavor!

I've been walking as well (45 min./ daily usually at 6 am). I'm trying to have a vbac and my doctor told me my max weight gain is 30 lbs this time. In the past, I've been like double that (too many doughnuts)! But this time, I'm very diligent on the walking and eating really healthy and I've been monitoring everything in my fitness pal app to make sure I'm not over consuming. It's been a lot of work but I know I'm so much healthier this time around.

I wanted to mention red raspberry tea leaf. Have you heard of it or tried it? My friend who gives birth naturally swears by it and the midwives associated with my doctor use it as well. I plan on ordering and drinking it in my 3rd trimester. You look beautiful and pregnancy suits you! Blessings

Cindy said...

You look beautiful and glowing in your pregnancy. I love all your books and am in the process of turning our home around to the more Parisian way of life. Now to save all my pennies so I can take a trip there in person someday. Thank you!

Amy said...

Hi Jennifer,

You look beautiful!

I'd like it if you (or any of your other readers!) could discuss your ideas of "hospital poise/hospital chic." I'm not pregnant, but I do have an (out-patient) surgery coming up that involves general anesthesia. I've never been in the hospital before (despite being in my 40s) and I'd like to approach this with poise and calm.

Any hospital/poise tips including beauty products? I'm pondering waterproof mascara and a cute pedicure (they don't allow fingernail polish) but that's as far as I've gotten.

Unknown said...

I would absolutely love it if you released a Madame Chic book on the subject of pregnancy. I would purchase it in a heartbeat!

zephyr said...

Jennifer, you look great! I hope the next several weeks go quickly for you. I'm guessing a boy!

I really like the pajama top and bottoms with the short jacket/cover-up. No babies for me anymore, I'm 57, but I'm tempted to buy that set for myself. They're very presentable!

Speaking of pajamas - this is for Amy, who is going in for outpatient surgery soon. I went in to the hospital right before this past Christmas. It was an emergency, and I went in not knowing they'd admit me and keep me overnight. I went in with my purse and in my street clothes. I had no pajamas, so I had to wear a hospital gown (open in the back), and a pair of scrubs pants, which were enormous on me and dragging on the floor. And they were really hard to navigate with an IV in my arm, because I couldn't bend my right arm at all. Ack! So even if you're quite certain you won't be kept overnight, my advice would be to have whatever you wear for pajamas with you, or easily accessible for someone to bring to you if necessary. You might have an IV, so something short-sleeved or sleeveless, because they're constantly checking that. Re makeup, I think waterproof mascara would be fine, and the pedicure will keep your spirits up. I had makeup on when I went in, and it drove me nuts that I couldn't wash it off that night the way I normally would, because I could only use one hand. I can't stand going to bed with less than a clean face! Not that I slept that night... I did my best to be upbeat and polite to all, though inside I was worried and it was difficult to keep calm and poised. I had lipstick in my purse; I put it on when I left and that made me happy! Best wishes to you, Amy!

zephyr said...

And a PSA for all expectant mothers - please, please, if your fingers and hands are swelling and your rings are tight, take them off and leave them off! I worked in the jewelry industry for many years, and have seen more than my fair share of wedding bands and engagement rings cut off by paramedics and ER personnel. Admittedly, their first concern is your finger and your circulation. The shanks are mangled and, in the case of full-round-design or full-round stone-set bands, are difficult and very expensive to repair. If you must have a ring or band on, substitute with something thin in width, inexpensive and large enough in size to comfortably get over your knuckle.

Don't wear your rings when you go in for delivery. The hospital staff may make you remove them, and then someone else will have to keep track of them for you. Better to keep them someplace safe at home!

McKristie said...

I absolutely loved this video thank you very much. I'm always looking for caffeine free alternatives to my daily beverages in regards to the pregnancy mask I've heard really good reviews about this oil. I use a lot of products from the line just thought I'd mention it!! And I'm also on the hunt for that creamer now. Phoenix doesn't carry it but I may import it !!

http://www.integritybotanicals.com/products/pregnancy-facial-oil

Evaline said...

For Amy,...I have had 4 surgeries in 5 years. A pedicure is fine, (most hospitals don'T allow polish on toes, either) but I suggest no make up at all. You won'T miss it...difficult to manage. Do bring healthy, easy to store and manage snacks. If possible, have someone bring you food. No valuables or jewelry. Slip-on shoes or slippers for walking on your ward. Make sure you understand the medications you are given upon discharge.I took bottled water so I would not have to wait for the nurses to get me water. Be nice to the nurses. Good luck!

Unknown said...

Double check if you are allowed a cute pedicure as I have never been allowed toe nail polish, but still invested in a pedicure with a final buff as the finish. That way they still looked presentable!! Neat but comfortable clothes and nice undergarments as well. Depending on your surgery make sure your pants and undergarment waist band will sit at the right place. Post C section I preferred higher waisted items, but post laparoscopy low waisted were much more comfortable.

Unknown said...

I forgot to mention that I would pack a small overnight bag just in case what was meant to be outpatient turns into an overnight stay. Nice pyjamas that button up the front (much easier to put on and off if you have an IV in your arm) and some of your own toiletries can make an unexpected stay much more pleasant.

zephyr said...

I agree with you, Sarah! Button-up pajamas would be much easier, or a button-up gown. And something to read, too!

The night of the day I was admitted, the nurses gave me a little kit with a toothbrush, tooth paste, and a comb. There was also a gentle liquid soap. Thank goodness, because I had none of that with me, besides the comb ad lipstick in my purse.

Anonymous said...

Way back when I was on the pill (which works by mimicking pregnancy) for several years, then decided to go off it, I found quite a bit of hair on my pillow following that, and it concerned me enough to seek help. I was told that because I wasn't losing hair while on the pill that normally would have fallen out and been replaced, it was all falling out after going off the pill, and being replaced. Hence the little "baby hairs" coming in that you have noticed. At the time, I had short hair, and didn't notice any bald spots or anything; it was just all the hair on my pillow quite suddenly that concerned me. Biotin was recommended as a supplement (your supplement perhaps has that as an ingredient?). I also found this marvelous hair product line in Whole Foods: Andalou Naturals. They have a shampoo, conditioner, and styling spray for thinning hair, which I use because my hair is baby fine, and it really beefs it up, without sulfates or alcohol. It's a great line -- I love their facial products as well.

Stephanie said...

For Amy,
I used to work in a nursing home. I know that isn't a hospital, but there are definitely similarities. Some of the residents there were courteous to the staff. Some of them were grumpy or rude. It can be hard to treat others well when you are in physical discomfort or pain, or when your dignity has been compromised, but a few people managed it. The most poised individual I remember was polite and appreciative requesting and receiving assistance with a bed pan in the middle of the night. The circumstances didn't give her poise. She created it in the way she handled an otherwise undignified circumstance.
Another thought: you may want to bring a book with you. It's hard to feel poised when you're nervous, and the hours can pass slowly, even if they do have a tv.

Amy said...

Stephanie,

That is an AMAZING insight - thank you. I was so excited by this revelation that I ran and told my husband about it.

It's not so much that I'm scared by the surgery itself - it's that it's an *undignified* situation. It's necessary and important, but undignified. Dignity is so important to me that I tend to avoid situations that might compromise it, even if they are necessary (particularly medical situations).

It made me realize that there are a lot of situations that are important but lack inherent dignity and its up to us as individuals to provide the dignity.

Thanks, everyone, for the ideas! What a great community!

wildnettle said...

Congratulations. You look very beautiful and slim :)

mamalb said...

Hello!

I enjoy your videos and have been helped them, so thank you!
I just want to caution you about referring to the baby's " gender". In context, what you meant was the sex of the child. Gender is a psychological term meaning: the state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones)
Here's an article from the American College of Pediatricians explaining the distinction of gender vs. sex

http://www.acpeds.org/the-college-speaks/position-statements/gender-ideology-harms-children


Unknown said...

As the mother of three boys, I can tell you that you are going to have a boy! Low and larger. Boys are FUN!!!
I am happy for your family--even if I am wrong haha.

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed drinking Leroux instant chicoree (chickory) while I was pregnant. I buy it from amazon.

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed drinking Leroux instant chicoree (chickory) while I was pregnant. I buy it from amazon.

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed drinking Leroux instant chicoree (chickory) while I was pregnant. I buy it from amazon.

Pam said...

I feel like this blog post has changed my life. I have always been a coffee drinker. A steaming cup every morning felt like one of life's simple pleasures to me. However, I've been having some stomach issues and I just can't tolerate coffee anymore. I switched to hot tea (which I love), but it just wasn't the same. I really missed my coffee. Then I watched this video. I ordered some of the Vanilla Nut Teeccino and feel like I have my mornings back. I know it isn't coffee, but it FEELS like I'm drinking coffee. I truly look forward to my morning cuppa again. Thank you!