12.29.2009

# Movies # Reviews

My Top Ten Films of the Decade- #1 Amélie



Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain (also known simply as Amélie) is not only my favorite film of the decade… but is also my favorite film of all time. I’ll never forget the first time I saw this magical little gem by Jean Pierre Jeunet. It was 2001, I was living in Paris and went with a few of my friends to the cinema. I was completely unprepared for the utter enchantment I was about to experience from a film that would ultimately change my life.

Audrey Tautou plays Amélie, a shy waitress from Montmartre who one day comes across a box of childhood treasures in her Parisian apartment. She decides that evening to return the box to its original owner and if the owner is moved- she will devote her life to helping others. He is moved- and Amélie’s adventures begin- thrusting her out of her shell and allowing her to live life, make meaningful connections and ultimately… to love.

Everything about this movie- the music, the cinematography, the acting- reads like a love letter to Paris. It is so moving- so poetic… so ultimately unforgettable. Since Amélie was released I have noticed so many art forms influenced by its unique and whimsical style- which has happily assured me that this beautiful film has not only affected me, but millions of people who have seen it too.

I have really enjoyed doing this series on my top ten films of the past decade. I’m looking forward to another decade full of inspiring cinema and would love to know… what were your top ten films of the last decade?

And now... I'm off to Barbados... Happy New Year!


Audrey Tautou is pictured above in a scene from Amélie.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never seen this. I for sure will check it out! I loved your Top Ten Film series! It was very enjoyable.

Rebecca said...

Magical film. Perfect #1 choice.

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

Yes! Amelie! I should have guessed! I love this film too. I own it and can't tell you the last time I watched it. I will be bringing it out to enjoy this weekend. Loved your list! Have a great time on your vacation!

BonjourRomance said...

I have to confess, I have never seen this film. I never got around to it for some reason, but after your glowing review it will be a New Year's resolution to see it.
Have a fabulous time and Happy New Year!

Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl said...

It's so fascinating how different people view the same things so differently sometimes... I've tried watching Amelie but somehow never gotten that much into it to even finish :S Maybe I wasn't in the right mood for the movie at the time or maybe there's another reason, I dunno. But I can't say that I didn't like it, since I haven't even watched it properly.

Happy Holidays!

Tracy D. said...

Probably my favorite film too - and one of my favorite soundtracks! Great choice.

lady jicky said...

Adore Amelie and for the people who have not seen it yet --- you are in for a treat!

CashmereLibrarian said...

But of course! One of my favorites too, for sure.

Have a fabulous time in Barbados and Happy New Year!

Stephanie said...

I could not agree more. I loved this film!

JMay said...

LOVE that movie.

Great taste
Great blog :-)

Happy New Year and have fun!!

xo.

sanjeet said...

Loved your list! Have a great time on your vacation!

Work from home India

Lisa D. said...

Happy New Year! Thank you for posting this wonderful list of films. :) One of my favorite films this decade was Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I hope you have a wonderful trip to Barbados! :)

Rose said...

Amelie is like a film prescription drug for if you ever feel out of sorts or just in need of a little magic. It's like a freshly prepared macaroon, a perfect chocolat chaud, a hot water bottle, a damien rice song, like setting pen to paper with a good idea. I find bests very hard but I agree it's one of the best of the decade- perhaps ever.

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Yay! Thank you to everyone for your enthusiastic comments on my top ten films of the decade posts- I've really enjoyed hearing your input- whether you thought I was crazy or whether you agreed with my choices :) I am in Barbados right now having a very lovely and much needed holiday. I hope your New Years festivities were fun. Looking forward to kicking off the next year of my blog upon my return. xx

Jen said...

Yes, Amelie is the ultimate! I think any girl who loves it has seriously considered getting some bangs, and I'm not afraid to admit, I've lopped my own hair off to get her look :) Have a fantastic time in Barbados, and a blessedly Happy New Year!

BigLittleWolf said...

Amélie really is a delightful film, and Tatou is a pleasure to watch.

I am still a sucker for some of the older French films - including anything with Brigitte Bardot, Catherine Deneuve, Alain Delon, or Isabelle Adjani.

What a great way to start the new year! Enjoy!

red ticking said...

such a wonderful movie... i need to see it again... have a wonderful trip... aaah the beach... the sun... blessings to you in the new year...x pam

Fiona said...

Thanks Jennifer for inspiring me to rewatch Amelie a few days ago. A worthy recipient of number 1!

Sharon McPherson said...

Barbados!!! ... Wayhey!!! ... Heavenly!!!!

I know what you mean about Amelie: I remember what cinema I saw it in (DCA)... I remember what time of the day I saw it (afternoon Matinee) ... and I remember who I was with when I saw it (a work colleague).

How many movies, years later, leaves this impact?

I had had a trip to Paris the year before and the movie made me feel I was there, again! It was so vivid. Good choice. :)

ELS said...

Just got back from there, you will have such a wonderful time, amusez-vous bien et bonne annee!
E

Josephine Tale Peddler said...

A magical film indeed. I saw it with David and we both loved it. Now I must see it again! I enjoyed your list, Jennifer. I think we could go to the movies together happily! xx

Victoria | Hibiscus Bloem said...

Love this film and adore Andrey - she was the perfect actress for the role. Great choice for No. 1

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Thank you every one for the great comments! I'm so happy we all agree that this film is magnificent...

Back from Barbados- taking the weekend to unwind from the stress that was traveling yesterday. Looking forward to getting back to the blog very soon! xo

Unknown said...

I love, love, love this film and did my thesis for French Cinema on it. Thank you for making it #1 - there would have been no other place for it!