12.13.2009

# Movies # Reviews

My Top Ten Films of the Decade- #3 Gosford Park



By now many of you know that I am writing (and nearly finished with!) my first mystery novel. I consider myself to be not only a daily connoisseur but a mystery connoisseur as well. I tend to usually like highbrow mysteries- mysteries with tea cups and whiskeys, bridge and evening gowns, servants and poisons- so it should be no surprise to you that I freaking loved Gosford Park.

This 2001 film, written by Julian Fellowes and directed by the late (and sorely missed) Robert Altman was the cinematic equivalent of heaven for me. The film takes place in 1932 in the English country manor of Sir William McCordle (played by Michael Gambon). A glamorous group of Britons, Americans and their servants gather in the austere McCordle home where, naturally, a murder is committed in the middle of the night. Altman weaves an enthralling tale that follows the whodunit from the perspective of two very different classes- those that live ‘above the stairs’ and those that live ‘below’.

The all star cast includes the likes of Kristen Scott Thomas, Maggie Smith, Helen Mirren, Ryan Phillippe and Clive Owen. This film was certainly a classic of this decade and will remain one, I believe, for decades to come…


Won’t you stay tuned for my number 2 pick?

18 comments:

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I so agree! The film was pure gold.
I LOVE anything that Julian Fellowes writes. His screenplay for Gosford Park was brilliant! I am excited to see he has done the same for the new film Young Victoria, which I will be seeing sometime very soon.
His novels are worth reading as he has an amazing command of the English language.

Lilliam Rivera said...

Loved the film. Top reason because it introduced to me the smoldering Clive Owen. Enough said.

Julia said...

one of my all time favorite movies... kristen scott thomas is amazing, as well as maggie smith, and the delicious clive owen. highbrow mystery and a smoldering hunk? yes please!

Mary said...

Ohhh yesss! A fantastic movie and one that is my collection, too. I've loved reading your top 10 movie list and am waiting for #2 and then #1.

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Ladies- I love your responses and am glad that I'm not the only one that adores this film. How did I manage to leave out Julian Fellowes and Clive Owen? I am amending the review now :)

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

Great review of a great film! I can't wait to see what you selected for number 2 and number 1!

BonjourRomance said...

Great movie pick. The set decoration and the clothes were fabulous. That is wonderful that you are nearly finished with your first mystery novel - keep us posted.
Hope all is still going well for your family.

Anonymous said...

I did see this one! I really enjoyed it. It's one of those movies that stays with you for a long time.

RomiAndJaredAreMarried said...

"Green...tricky color." I LOVE Maggie Smith!

~Tessa~Scoffs said...

Loved this as well. I had heard that the way Robert Altman got such great performances out of his actors was to tell them that their "story" was the most important one in the film. ALSO! If you like Julian Fellowes - have you read his novel "Snobs"? It's pretty darn good.

Josephine Tale Peddler said...

I freaking loved it too. It really swept you inside that time and place. I used to love Upstairs Downstairs as a child and it reminded me of that crossed with Miss Marple. xx

TT said...

Great pick! I've watched this film with and without commentary about a dozen times, maybe more. It holds up well. I believe that this was Robert Altman's best films, and he was one of the best directors. Clive Owen has never been better, nor Helen Mirren. Everyone from the slimey Ryan Phillippe's Henry Denton, Alan Bates' deteriating Jennings, to Derek Jacobi's constipated Probert were superb. I could go on but I'd have to name the entire cast.

Keith said...

I love this film so much. It had an incredible cast. it's one of my favorites definitely over this decade. Great post on it.

The Daily Connoisseur said...

I'm so glad you all feel the same way- All of this great discussion is making me want to watch it again!

JeffScape said...

Of your current posted list, I've not seen 7, 8, or 10 (though I'm adding them to the queue), and I didn't care for Drag Me to Hell, but each of the rest are in the DVD collection.

Enjoy your reviews.

BigLittleWolf said...

This sounds like one to get during the holidays. I'm putting it on my list. (Now where is Santa?)

Tine said...

Oh oh oh! I love Maggie Smith and Clive Owen and Helen Mirren.... I am definitely going to have to see this movie ASAP!

Anonymous said...

You have excellent taste. This is an outstanding film. I'm amazed how anyone could keep all of the characters storylines straight in their head. Julian Fellowes must have had a huge flowchart.