12.06.2009

# Movies # Reviews

My Top Ten Films of the Decade- #4 The Dreamers



The Dreamers
, released in 2003 and directed by Bernardo Bertolucci is my fourth favorite film of the decade. (**Disclaimer** Do not watch this film with your parents or your children unless you like being extremely uncomfortable. Only watch this film with cinema snobs that have a particularly open mind).

The Dreamers
is a film that might be disturbing to some as it explores explicit sexual and philosophical themes (I, however, happen to find that stuff rather interesting). It takes place in 1968 Paris and follows brother and sister Isabelle and Théo (played by Eva Green and Louis Garrel) and their misadventures with American exchange student Matthew (played by Michael Pitt).

The three bright young things are idealistically obsessed with art and cinema and hide away together determined to escape the unstable reality that was the 1968 student rebellions in France. A bizarre love triangle is formed that ultimately forces them to escape their escapism and face a stark reality…

This film was sexy, disturbing, fascinating and ultimately unforgettable… a modern masterpiece from the visionary director Bernardo Bertolucci…

Won’t you stay tuned for my number three pick? This is getting good…

7 comments:

BigLittleWolf said...

I haven't seen this movie, but you make it sound délicieux, which means I need to add it to my holiday list (of films to rent)!

Jen said...

Wow, I once caught this film in the middle of it, when it was playing on some cable channel. It was pretty interesting, but I had forgotten the name of it. And you're right, do not watch with your parents or kids, it's definitely not PG (menage a trois never are!)

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of this. Sounds very interesting. I'm adding it to my netflix right now!

++MIRA++ said...

never seen this. will check it out "__"

James XVI said...

Must see this... can't wait for number three.

Josephine Tale Peddler said...

I remember when this came out it sounded pretty racy. I will have to track this one down as it does sound fascinating. xx

CashmereLibrarian said...

So last night my husband and I had planned to go see "An Education," but the weather was so crappy I just stopped by the library to pick up some movies. It was between "8 1/2", "Mamma Mia" and "The Dreamers," and my husband picked "Dreamers."
We enjoyed it, as is my wont I was more struck by how the 60's French teenagers as portrayed by the movie are so similar to how my teenage sons act. Not the sex part (thankfully I don't know so much--or don't want to know-- about that ;-)) but the intense idealism and dialogue coupled with a total trashing of the apartment when the parents are gone. Oh, and of the check-cashing!