11.18.2019

# a homemaker's presentation # enemies to homemakers

A Homemaker's Presentation



Hello my fellow connoisseurs. In this series, I like to explore the life of a homemaker, as it can be complicated, complex, hidden, and deeply important. Today I’m going to share thoughts on the Homemaker’s Presentation. How you present yourself at home.




Presentation.
How we present ourselves. A secret I learned while living in Paris, that I’ve never been able to shake, is that we should look presentable always. Not look perfect, or expensive, but presentable. And yes, this even applies at home. In fact, I would suggest that it is even more important to look presentable at home than out in public. Why? Because how we live at home, is indicative of how we truly are.

Now a common dilemma that homemakers face is: what if I get dressed, do my hair and maybe even makeup, and then I just ruin everything with a long day of cooking, cleaning, and parenting?



After posing this question, many homemakers decide to dress for drudgery. Yes, drudgery. They expect that the outfit will be stained, that the hair or makeup will go unnoticed, so they dress in old ratty clothes such as sweat pants to get through the day.

I’m here to encourage you. You don’t need to dress for drudgery. If you do so, you are setting yourself up for a life sentence of wearing drab, stainable clothing, because every day is filled with chores, cleaning, and cooking. Meanwhile your true style is being stifled and your creative expression through dress is gone.

A question I posed to myself when I became a parent was this: how do I want my children to visually remember me? Of course, I want them to remember me for my inner qualities and those are likely the first that will come to mind, but your family will also remember you visually as well. I want my children to be well-adjusted adults, and so I must look the part too.

And a final thought. If we save our best clothing and appearance for that one rare day in the future where we don’t have any housework to do, it’s the equivalent of having beautiful china teacups that you never use, that just collect dust on a shelf. What’s the worst thing that can happen? We stain our clothing. Well, if you can’t get the stain out, at least you went out with a bang. :)

Looking presentable comes in many different forms. Our style is varied and unique, as diverse as we are. I am inspired by remarkable women who express their true style with joie de vivre on a daily basis.


The ladies who are featured in this video are very near and dear to my heart. They each have amazing channels and I encourage you to check them out and subscribe. They are linked in order of appearance:

Marie-Anne Lecoeur
Kim | Free to Family
Teri | Terigigi
Devoreaux | The Modern Lady
Fiona | How to be Chic
Robin | Faith & Flour
Audrey Coyne
Laurie | Pride in Photos Beauty
Kat | A Better Life with Flylady Kat
Joy Forney
Rosenda | Little Pink Casa
Coleen | Uncomplicated Motherhood
Jamie Cat Callan
Melissa | Melissa55
Shaye | The Elliott Homestead
Hilary | Old World Home
Amy Maryon
Alena | The Darling Academy
Mrs. Shockley
Falon | Moss Family TV
Rachel | Sweet & Simple Home
Nikki | Inspired by Nikki

I hope today's video inspires you.

Featured in today's video, my dress, my apron, my velvet hair tie, my nail polish (JenniferS for 25% off), and the multi-purpose cleaner I used (a new natural brand called, Squeak... it's excellent!)

News

📍Join us for The Chic Assignment for November.

📍Visit The Daily Connoisseur merch store for holiday gifts, perfect for fans of The Daily Connoisseur blog. The limited edition Nutcracker mugs are absolutely delightful.

📍Thank you for your wonderful support of my new book, CONNOISSEUR KIDS.

📍Check out my affordable eCourses: The Ten-Item Wardrobe, Chic Financial Principles for Debt-Free Living, and How to be Efficient at Home.

On Instagram
Connoisseur Kids on Instagram...


Comment of the Week

Michela O. writes, "I really loved this video! my mother taught me to take care of my clothes and how to wash them and I will always be grateful for this. I love the combination of cashmere with silk and with elegant and timeless jewels. I live in northern Italy and I often wear warm clothes like cashmere sweaters that I wear under my coat."


Dear Michela, I can imagine northern Italy is so beautiful. Thank you for your comment!

Thank you for watching. I would love to know how you like to dress at home. Did today's video inspire you in any way? If so, please share.

I'll see you next time for The Chic Assignment check-in.


Visit my newly designed Author Website

*NEW* Shop my Amazon page for a comprehensive list of my favorite things and mentions on the blog.

Facebook facebook.com/JenniferLScottAuthor

Twitter @JL_Scott

Instagram @dailyconnoisseur

Take my affordable eCourses on the ten-item wardrobe, debt-free living, and efficiency at home


FTC: This post is not sponsored. Some links may be affiliate.


6 comments:

ilsa said...

What an inspiration video!! A beautiful homage to all those fabulous women around the world that make the simply and ordinary things in life sooo extraordinary!!!

Thanks and God bless you all11

Warm regards from Barcena, Spain

Johanna said...

I agree completely! It's important, not just for how others see us but also for our mental health to take care of our appearances. I'm not a homemaker, I'm a PhD student. My job is very demanding and I struggle with my mental health. However, dressing well even on the days I choose to work from home rather than the office helps me feel better and more in control of myself. My go-to outfit for changing into after work is a pair of flowy wide leg silky trousers and a knit sweater. It's casual and comfortable, yet chic enough that I wouldn't hesitate to open my door to a surprise guest without changing. Caring for my appearance is an investment in my mental health, just like keeping my apartment (reasonably) tidy, my fridge stocked with healthy groceries, and my freezer stocked with a few nutritious meals for the days when I have too much work to do to cook from scratch.

DaisyMuse said...

I love this! Seeing all the women all dressed nicely and smiling made me cry!
When I taught elementary school, I didn't think it mattered how I dressed. After all, who wanted to wear nice clothes, shoes, and perfume when you had to take thirty children outside to recess in the heat and humidity? One day, I tried dressing up at the advice of a fellow teacher. Everyone's attitude was improved--the students' and mine. Looking presentable can make your day!

DaisyMuse said...

I love this! Seeing all the women all dressed nicely and smiling made me cry!
When I taught first grade, I didn't think it mattered how I dressed. After all, who wanted to wear nice clothes, shoes, and perfume when you had to take thirty children outside to recess in the heat and humidity? One day, I tried dressing up for school at the advice of a fellow teacher. Everyone's attitude was improved--the students' and mine. Looking presentable works!

Shannon Bardwell said...

Your video made me teary at the end. I so enjoyed your presentation of being presentable. I loved seeing all the featured women some of which I follow. You and your suggested bloggers seem to be the only place where women and their "homework" is applauded. Thanks to you and some of the others I have capsuled my wardrobe, featured dresses in a modest length, and enjoying being presentable always. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Lori said...

What a gorgeous video! I love to think of beautiful women in their different corners of the world, serving and loving and bringing joy and beauty to the ones in their orbits. Thank you for sharing this representation of that fact.