7.18.2019

# braid bun updo # Emily Dickinson

Emily Dickinson Makeup & Hair Tutorial


Hello friends,

I'm coming to you on my birthday with a different kind of video...

As part of The Chic Assignment, we are reading the poetry of Emily Dickinson. I am fascinated by her life story and her poetry. I thought it would be fun to re-create her look with (le no) makeup and hair tutorial.

Our modern society loves to imitate celebrities of today, but I think it's fun to look at women from the past who have come before us, especially literary icons to the caliber of Emily Dickinson.



The key for this look is a completely natural makeup look without any brozers, shimmers, or other modern touches. Emily did not appear to wear makeup. If anything, she might have powdered her nose. Her skin appears to be very clear, creamy and matte.



I use makeup to simply bring out my features in a natural way. You can likely recreate this with the makeup you already have. For those of you wondering what makeup I used in today's video I am listing it here:
A'DEL foundation in beige, Osmosis translucent finishing powder,
Cream blush in Peach from A'DEL, black mascara from Osmosis, Lipstick from A'DEL in barely there, eye shadow Laura Mercier eye artist palette (no longer available) so I'm linking two comparable colors here from Osmosis.



For the hair: Emily has a very plain hairstyle with a middle part and (presumably) a low bun. I use my flat iron to smooth the hair to create Emily's sleek look. I take out hair on either side of the face and set it aside. Then tie the rest of the hair in a low ponytail (I'm using an invisibobble). Braid the ponytail in a simple three-strand braid and wrap it around the ponytail. Secure with bobby pins. Then take the strands on the side of the face and wrap them under and around the bun and secure with bobby pins.



The velvet neck tie is improvised from these velvet scrunchies that I have been loving (the tie is removable).

I hope you enjoyed the tutorial in today's video.



“Hope” is the thing with feathers
BY EMILY DICKINSON
“Hope” is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -
And sings the tune without the words -
And never stops - at all -

And sweetest - in the Gale - is heard -
And sore must be the storm -
That could abash the little Bird
That kept so many warm -

I’ve heard it in the chillest land -
And on the strangest Sea -
Yet - never - in Extremity,
It asked a crumb - of me.


Comment of the Week
Rainy Daze write, "Finally did the 10 item wardrobe. What a life/time saver! I'm usually overwhelmed by clothes shopping for myself. 10 item wardrobe helps a lot. And dresses are new to me...but I found one I liked and really do feel more feminine/put together wearing it. Very thankful for sharing your method with those of us with poor executive function."

Rainy Daze- I'm so happy for you! Thanks for taking the time to share your ten-item wardrobe progress with us.



I hope you enjoyed this fun tutorial. I'll see you next time for The Chic Assignment check-in.



Visit my newly designed Author Website

*NEW* Shop my Amazon page for a comprehensive list of my favorite things and mentions on the blog.

Facebook facebook.com/JenniferLScottAuthor

Twitter @JL_Scott

Instagram @dailyconnoisseur

Take my affordable eCourses on the ten-item wardrobe, debt-free living, and efficiency at home

Sign up for my Seasonal Author Newsletter

FTC: This video is not sponsored. Some links may be affiliate.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

HOW FUN!
I love that you are emulating an iconic writer whose work has inspired so many.
Applause, applause!

L. Clarke said...

It's your birthday and you sent us this lovely gift of a post. Thanks Jennifer, and may your birthday bring you joy!

Deborah said...

Hi Jennifer,
What a creative post! And your "reasoning" and narrative as to why you are emulating Emily's "look", is refreshing! Good job, Jennifer,
And by the way, for this assignment I decided to borrow a book from the library, "Emily Dickinson - Poems for Youth" - I thought maybe I could understand these without having to struggle for "the meaning", because I am unwilling to devote that much mental or emotional/spiritual attention on secular poetry. But this little book is lovely! Such sweet poems, so many about birds and seasons and nature, so easy to "get"... I guess I just want poetry to be simple and make we smile with the play on thoughts and words, because I just love these.
So now I can say I finally connect with a poet! I'll let you know which is my favorite, when we do the assignment check-in.
And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Hope it is lovely.

Donna said...

Happy Birthday!!!! Hope you have an amazing day!

Anonymous said...

Dear Jennifer,

What a charming, peaceful video--Thank you! You made me think of Jacqueline Kennedy-- I think that she memorized a different poem each year on her birthday.

The Happiest of Birthdays to you!

Lissa

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday! You are a blessing to me! Sarah

JennyP said...

Happy birthday to you,happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear Jennifer........Happy birthday to yoooou! (Just add music) Best wishes from Australia 🎂🍰

Stephanie said...

Happy birthday!
This post was a fun surprise. Today I had chosen a poem of Emily's to memorize. I copied it down on a large post-it that I stuck in my planner. Thanks for reminding us that chic is thoughtful and always a little bit different.

Frenchcaligirl said...

Wishing you the loveliest of birthdays and a year of health and happiness! 💐💗🎂

Nancy said...

You are speaking to this English major's heart. I spoke of my admiration of Shakespeare's genius last month and this month you send us to Emily! She did have such an interesting life. She seems kind of shy or introverted. But there are stories of her being quite flirtatious. She has so many really wonderful poems I could never choose a favorite. I love I'm Nobody, Who are you? And I love to see it Lap the Miles, and have had I never saw a moor memorized for more years than I can tell you. This really just scratches the surface! I am glad to be prodded to pick up her poetry again. I loved the video - it was so joyful! I gave up any snacking last month so I haven't had too much to observe there, except maybe the scales going down! : ) And I love giving people compliments - their smile, the way they stand a little taller, the appreciation they show for someone recognizing them. Probably my favorite assignment so far! This month I have focused on my family. My kids bask in them and my husband grins like a teenage boy. What a fun month!
Happy Birthday!

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Hello ladies, thank you so much for all of your wonderful birthday wishes. I had a lot of fun putting this post together and I'm glad you enjoyed it. It would be fun to do this with other literary heroines from the past so perhaps I will look into doing this more. Thank you for your comments and thank you for your Chic Assignment updates!

Love,
Jennifer

Weisserose said...

Dear Jennifer,

How wonderful! "Hope..." is probably my favourite poem of E. Dickinson.

Your Chic Assignment is really - not just probably... - one my favourite things to do every month. It is thoroughly enjoyable and brings me much joy. I plan my own "program", with music, books and whatnot, but it is much more fun to do something together with like-minded ladies here at the DC. So thanks for that.

This post is brilliant. You are such a creative person! How about an Austen look? Or Luccia's? ;-)

And last but not least, Happy Birthday, and all the best! :-)
Due to the time difference (Europe) I am late for the party, but I hope you had a great day.

Greetings from Germany,
WR

Jo said...

Hope you had a lovely birthday!

Cindy B. said...

Jennifer,

Happy Belated Birthday! Did you do anything extra-special?

On a much less happy note: are you aware of the 4 comments under your Amazon post re hacking into ATM's and stealing money? So sad and stupid, especially on such a wonderful site.

Vicki Zimmerman said...

Happy birthday, Jennifer, and best wishes on a beautiful new year ahead. What a lovely and creative video you made here highlighting one of my favorite poets, Emily Dickinson. In my last year at CSULB, Emily Dickinson was the subject of one of my English class finals where each student could personalize their final project, and I chose her. I will never forget Emily and that class. So, thank you for this post and you look so pretty and I'm thrilled you read some of Emily's poetry.