9.13.2019

# children and screen time # Connoisseur Kids

Limiting Screen Time for Our Children | WHY and HOW?



Today, we are discussing a very important subject: screen time and our children. How much is too much? What can they do instead? and How can we as parents help?



I discuss the subject of screen time in Connoisseur Kids and even give a list of 50 activities children can do that don't involve screens. In today's video, I give many more ideas and also discuss my philosophy regarding screen time.

Here is an interesting article I found from WebMD on the subject of screen time.

The following is an excerpt from the article:

Can Too Much Screen Time Hinder Child Development?

Young children spend a lot of time fiddling with smartphones, tapping away at tablets and staring at TV screens.

Could this time be taking away from their early physical and mental development?

A new study argues that's precisely the case -- screen time can affect how well children perform on developmental tests.

"Kids who are being put in front of screens are showing delayed development," said lead researcher Sheri Madigan. She is research chair of child development with the University of Calgary's department of psychology, in Canada.

Watching TV, using a computer, playing video games, and goofing around with tablets or smartphones were among the types of screen time reported.

"We found that, on average, children are viewing screens somewhere between two and three hours per day," Madigan said. "This exceeds the recommended guidelines of no more than one hour of high-quality programming for kids between the ages of 2 and 5" set by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP).



As you can see, even doctors agree that limiting screen time is necessary for raising well-rounded children.

I firmly believe that leading by example is the most important aspect here. We as parents need to not be attached to our own screens. There should be an atmosphere in the home that does not revolve around the television and constant entertainment.

An emphasis on enjoying books and a love of learning are also critically important. I do hope you watch today's video to hear my expanded thoughts on this important subject.

Featured in the video:

Lightbox photography kids' class by Elizabeth Ensor

My dress is by Velvet and my earrings are Ana Luisa Jewelry
Use code Jennifer10 for $10 off

News
📍Thank you for your wonderful support of CONNOISSEUR KIDS. If you enjoy the book, please consider leaving a review for it online. I greatly appreciate your support.

📍Thank you to everyone who watched my interview on Get Organized HQ the online conference where dozens of women have gotten together to share their knowledge and their stories to help you get your home and life on track. The interviews are still accessible through the All-Access pass.

📍Check out my affordable eCourses: The Ten-Item Wardrobe, Chic Financial Principles for Debt-Free Living, and How to be Efficient at Home.


On Instagram
If you would like your Instagram featured on The Daily Connoisseur, share a photo of your book on social media using the hashtag #ConnoisseurKids Here is today's selection.

View this post on Instagram

I think that most of the issues that plagues us in today's society are related to anger and resentment to the "other". One way to fix that is by treating each other with dignity and respect and that's where manners and etiquette come in. Manners and etiquette empower kids and reduce anxiety because it teaches kids what to do and say in every situation. I was using the Carreño manual but is a bit outdated (written in 1865) and then my favorite YouTuber @dailyconnoisseur came out with her own book. I got it 2 days ago and I got to say is a great and fun to read manners book. Teaches the kids how to be the best person they can be: how's to talk, maintain eye contact, table manners, tidiness and more. Get it on Amazon here Connoisseur Kids: Etiquette, Manners, and Living Well for Parents and Their Little Ones (Etiquette for Children, Manner Books for Kids, Parenting Books, Books on Elegance) https://www.amazon.com/dp/1452173478/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_CoLEDbAT4K0TE #ettiquette #mannersmatter #connossieur #connoisseurkids #healthykids

A post shared by http://www.marifersworld.com/ (@marifersway) on



Comment of the Week
Katy T. writes, "Hi Jennifer! You really have hit the nail on the head. I wish everyone knew how important manners and etiquette are! Please keep spreading this message. My husband and I value this message as well and are teaching our children to be respectful, confident compassionate citizens. I can’t wait to read the book! Thank you! ❤️"


Thank you, Katy! I am enjoying the discussions that the book are bringing to light. Thank you for watching!

I would love to know your thoughts on children and screen time. What are the rules in your house? How do you handle this subject? Let us know and your comment could be chosen as comment of the week on the blog.



Visit my newly designed Author Website

*NEW* Shop my Amazon page for a comprehensive list of my favorite things and mentions on the blog.

Facebook facebook.com/JenniferLScottAuthor

Twitter @JL_Scott

Instagram @dailyconnoisseur

Take my affordable eCourses on the ten-item wardrobe, debt-free living, and efficiency at home

Sign up for my Seasonal Author Newsletter

FTC: This post is not sponsored. Links may be affiliate.

2 comments:

Meet Kelly said...

Love the ideas here and definitely makes me want to figure out different ideas for my older boys who seem to always want a screen. I also need to choose times to watch my favorite YouTubers so that it doesn’t always appear that I myself am soaking up a screen. I like to search for recipes or listen to YT while cooking or cleaning, but I think that can come across as “playing” in their eyes and not so much learning or being creative. Lessons for me to learn as well. I never watch tv but YT is my weakness. I use it to learn from other women, especially you Jennifer. But I need to be careful how they perceive it.

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Hi Kelly, I totally relate to your comment! I think the same way as you regarding this matter. Thanks for stopping by!

~Jennifer