8.23.2019

# Alena Kate Pettitt # Daily Connoisseur Interviews

English Etiquette with Alena Kate Pettitt and Jennifer L. Scott




Today on The Daily Connoisseur, I'm interviewing the lovely Alena Kate Pettitt from The Darling Academy.



We chat about every from proper English teatime etiquette to the royals. We also discuss her new book, English Etiquette: The Motivation Behind the Manners.



This is not another etiquette book detailing the antiquated, excruciating, and frankly confusing minefield of rules lauded by traditionalists. Let’s face it, many of us will never need to know which side a snail fork should be placed at the dinner table, nor are we likely to ‘take tea’ with the Queen. Yet we could all do with a little help in perfecting our manners, self-confidence, and social graces for everyday living.

English Etiquette details everything the English know about why etiquette matters, in a modern, understandable, and unpretentious way – while teaching you how to cultivate a traditional and charming countenance to rival any royal.

Covering topics such as gallantry and grace, common decency, lifestyle choices, the quintessential English wardrobe, and behaviour in the home, you will learn how to shoehorn a little English gentility from this practical field guide into your daily life.

So pull your socks up ladies and gentlemen, pour yourself a cup of tea, and join The Darling Academy as we return to a culture of good manners, civility, and chivalry the world is longing for.

A proper, polite, and graceful way of living is making a comeback. Long may it prevail.



I hope you enjoy today's interview!

News
📍Speaking of etiquette, check out this Reader's Digest article, which quotes me on how to leave a conversation politely.

📍I am a featured speaker at the Get Organized HQ Summit with I Heart Planners. This is an online event and registration is currently free.

📍Take part in the Chic Assignment for August and join our Daily Connoisseur community.

📍PRE-ORDER my new book, CONNOISSEUR KIDS, which comes out September 10th from Chronicle Books.

📍If you haven't taken my eCourses yet, now is a wonderful time to get started. Check out my affordable eCourses: The Ten-Item Wardrobe, Chic Financial Principles for Debt-Free Living, and How to be Efficient at Home.


On Instagram
At Home with Madame Chic in Italy...


I hope you enjoy our interview today. Be sure to visit Alena on her blog and follow her on Instagram and tell her I said, "cheerio"!


Visit my newly designed Author Website

*NEW* Shop my Amazon page for a comprehensive list of my favorite things and mentions on the blog.

Facebook facebook.com/JenniferLScottAuthor

Twitter @JL_Scott

Instagram @dailyconnoisseur

Take my affordable eCourses on the ten-item wardrobe, debt-free living, and efficiency at home

Sign up for my Seasonal Author Newsletter

Interested in sponsoring a video on The Daily Connoisseur? Contact me here.

FTC: This video is not sponsored. Links are affiliate.

8 comments:

Amanda said...

Enjoyed this so much- you are both delightful! I'd love to see a "Royals-focused" series!

Sarah said...

I'd never heard of the Darling Academy until today--what a treasure! I can't wait to make her scones and pretend I live in England (my life-long dream, but alas, it's not going to happen). Thank you so much for today's post!

Deborah said...

Love this!
Please clarify what Alena said: "The queen abolished..?..." I'm so sorry, it got lost to me with her English accent. (I'm terrible with accents.)
So many fun books, blogs, movies, etc were referenced in this interview and blog page, I am looking forward to exploring a few.
I enjoyed "Royal watching" through yours and Alena's eyes...

Kgirl said...

OMG, I LOVE her. 'Never burger' *cries tears of laughter*. Please have Alena as a regular guest, she's so endearing, and when I close my eyes she sounds exactly like Sybil Fawlty (this is meant as an extreme compliment). I also know the Very British Problems guy; he has a new book coming out called 'Born to be Mild'. He is probably too shy to be a guest, ha.

Also the jam v cream on scones debate is very distinctive to certain regions of England: Cornwall (jam first) fighting to the death against Devon (cream first), home of Devonshire tea. Don't get me started....ha ha. But please have Alena back on. I'm addicted to her.

And er...glad your Royal Family questions stopped at the Sussexes and Cambridges...slightly awkward moments in the press right now about a certain Royal that's not even of the younger generation....mmm. Maybe you and Alena may need to find a less controversial topic than the Royals now?

Unknown said...

Love your videos and your books! This video with Alena was very interesting and fun to watch. I do have a question unrelated to the video. You talk a lot about Madame Chic in the past but I’m curious if you have kept up a relationship with her or ever visited after your stay with the family? I don’t know if you’ve ever talked about it in previous posts but I would love to hear if you had or did. Thank you and keep up the great work!

- Katelyn from Canada

Emma said...

I think she was talking about the presentation of the debutantes at court, which ended in 1958!

Unknown said...

I loved this and would certainly love to see her back as a guest!

Aussie Connoisseur said...

What a delightful interview, thank you! Your reaction to your guest watching Love Island was hilarious! I would love to see royal chats, and really anything about etiquette - I think the 'whys' are every bit as important as the 'rules'.

Madeleine